Belated Greetings

Reaction score
I joined on August 20 and just got straight into my initial question without introducing myself. Hi!

I've been playing a Petroff piano my grandmother gave me since sometime in the mid 1990s. Anyway, that was the start of serious learning after failed attempts by my father to teach me when I was 10 and a college piano class I had to drop because my architecture classes were too demanding to put in the practice time.

I recently bought a Casio PX160 to supplement my practice time. I can throw it in the back of my car to take to a family vacation home my wife shares with her brothers. We're there now and I've been getting some good practice in. I can also practice almost silently at home while my wife watches the TV in the evening (she says the sound of my tapping the keys with no other sound is odd but not disturbing).

So far, I feel the Casio is providing good value: the action is satisfactory, it travelled well, and my wife is happy. I've already started another thread on adding a portable three pedal, and plan to order my parts on the internet in a couple of days to be my "project" while on vacation.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Hi Greg,

We spoke extensively in your pedal thread, but allow me to extend the forum's and my greetings at this moment.

As you've already seen, we are a chatty, friendly bunch and anyone is free to jump in with an opinion or a criticism or praise at any possible moment.

Keys can be an addictive and satisfying hobby. Always remember your most important critic is always yourself. When someone else praises your work, however, that is always a high point :)

By all means do feel free to post some of your own work at http://soundcloud,com

People will give you honest, well intentioned criticisms that will help you progress without being catty of mean.

After all, we're all beginners at one point in our lives.

Looking forward to hearing your work...

Gary ;)

Oriane Lima

Hold on
Reaction score
Welcome, Greg:). Hahaha, my wife also complained about the piano noise. Then she gave me a keyboard. And here I am in the midst of these nice people.

Reaction score
Welcome, Greg:). Hahaha, my wife also complained about the piano noise. Then she gave me a keyboard. And here I am in the midst of these nice people.
My house has the unintended feature of being an incredible sound box. When playing my acoustic piano with the windows facing the street open, it can be heard 4 houses on either side (there is a school behind me, no comments from them). Fortunately, I have only received positive comments regarding my playing, but knowing how far the sound carries, I am careful not to play after 10 pm or before 8 am. Now that I have the keyboard I will mostly be playing it in the evening, so I can go later if I'm really into something.

Ask a Question