Best board for synthpads etc

Reaction score
Hi all,

So, I've been play for quite a while in various types of projects. I currently am in a Joe Satriani style, instrumental guitar based group. I mainly like to play synthpad / atmospheric type parts, creating multi-layered pieces for the lead guitar and rest of band to play over.

I am looking to purchase a new board, but unsure which would be best. I currently have an old Roland XP-30 and a Korg Triton LE. I love both these boards, but am a little tired of the same old patches and looking for something new to help spark some inspiration.

Wondering what anyone else is using with large synthpad library etc?? Have been thinking along the lines of a Motif XF8 or perhaps a Korg Kronos

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Perhaps consider picking up a Dave Smith Prophet-6 if you'd like to consider going old school analog and creating pads the same way they were created in the 70's and 80's.

Gary ;)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks Gary.... But, im looking for something that is modern and has loads of Combi type patches with multiple pad type layers etc. I would prefer a stand alone board, but, im also maybe interested in a laptop type setup. Its for playing onstage, live, so.... Looking for something that would ease gigging set up and be reliable. I dont need a lot of piano/organ type sounds,
I'm leaning towards the Motif or Kronos boards. Just wondering what anyone else may be using in this type of set up etc.

Thanks!!

Ask a Question