Best budget synth for 80's rock sounds?

Reaction score
I'm a beginner keyboardist / pianist but have played guitar for 30+ years and am trying to add a bit of keyboard into the band I play in.
I picked up a dirt cheap Roland Juno-D, and have been playing a few chords on the odd song but struggling to match sounds to the stuff we're doing. A couple of choice examples are Bon Jovi's Living on a prayer & Lay your hands on me.
I'm more used to the weighted keys on the Celviano piano I've been learning on, and finding the Roland extremely plastic in feel but not sure what's out there and what the best budget second hand bargains would be to. Semi-weighted keys? I've really no clue and have no experience with different brands/ models etc. so thought joining this forum would be a good place to get info.Would love the Nord Stage 3 but that 's a few years away I think!
Any help much appreciated ( I'm in the UK)
Cheers guys!

Reaction score
As you i'm a beginner, I have a Korg M1 which i'm learning on and I've just bought a Korg Wavestation, it was too good a deal not to buy. I like them both but as you i'm learning on a weighted key piano

Reaction score
As you i'm a beginner, I have a Korg M1 which i'm learning on and I've just bought a Korg Wavestation, it was too good a deal not to buy. I like them both but as you i'm learning on a weighted key piano
Thanks for the info- the M1 was one of the options I've thought about but not heard of the wasvestation before

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Anything you get with 61 keys will feel like a plasticky organ/synth keyboard compared to a Celviano.

Your only other options are to get 88 keys weighted but that drives up the budget.

Recently I've seen some Korg M3 88's selling used for about at thousand CDN so maybe you can find one of those inside your budget.

Or if you are willing to spend a grand you could also get the new Roland Juno DS88 for about the same money.

Either one should be able to handle all the sounds you need though the M3 is already about ten years old while the Juno DS88 is state of the art.

Gary ;)

Ask a Question