Best Keyboard/Synth for New Age compositions

Reaction score
I have been looking at the Roland Fantom XR and do like some of the sounds for "new age" music but I would love to have more input on what other keyboards or synth modules work well with the new age sounds. Thanks a bunch ... Davidpat

Reaction score
I love new age and am working on some stuff.

I recently bought a Fantom G8

Its all about what you want to do in the way of sounds and effects.

Bottom line, you may well want to have more than one board.

I am looking at adding one of the following boards in a 61 key version. Yamaha Motif XF or maybe a Yamaha Tyros 4

Not sure.

No real canned answer here, you are gonna have to decide based on what you want to do.
Check out the various boards, listen to the demos on U Tube and such.

Best way is to sit and play them.

Snowy

Reaction score
Thanks Snowy,
I have a Yamaha S900 (smaller version to the Tryos types) and love it, but the S900 dosent have enough memory for me and I do want more sounds like the Roland and the Korg sounds. I have looked at some modules, I tried the Fantom XR and it was very good, I did try the Fantom G8 as well and it was awsome, just the price kept me from snatching it up. Thanks so much for writing me, and I will probably do what you are suggesting. I wonder if there is a really good drum module for New Age rhythm and percussion? Any ideals?
Thanks ... DavidPat

Reaction score
Watch Craigs list closely in your area.

You may find a used Roland Fantom G 6,7 or 8 at a right price.

There was one here close to me the other day for $2500 and it was a sweetheart.

Times are tough and you may be able to snatch up a good deal.

I bought my fantom from Guitar center as a floor model.
It had a few scratches and such but was otherwise perfect and came with a full warranty and I got them to throw in the 2 year anything goes coverage.
(Your buddy spills his cup of coffee into it and shorts it out, its covered.

I was going to get that Roland that was local, But I dont need a second board thats identical.

Good luck, have fun

Reaction score
For new age floaty pads and the like Korg pretty much rule the roost, although really there's not a huge amount in it.

Check out the Korg Wavestation, for dreamy, evolving pads there's not much that can compare. Even the crappy Korg X3 had some nice pads on it, that was about all it had though. Maybe hunt down a second hand Trinity, i'm sure it included a few wave station patches.

Reaction score
ootini

What do you think of the Korg Kronos ??

I messed around with one (61 key) but at the store I could not really let loose and get wild.

I am wanting to add a second board to one of my work areas and am still not sure what I want.

The Yamaha Motif is a cool piece as is the Tyros 4 BUTTTTTTT the Kronos had some nice features for sure.

What say ye ??

Reaction score
With a retail price of two and half grand I'd expect it to be pretty damn good, never heard or played one though. Personally unless it was "incredible" I'd save myself about £2,000 and pick up a second hand Trinity+ with the Prophecy board installed.

Ask a Question