Best Live Performance Amp over 100 Watts

Reaction score
I'm looking for a new amp or setup for my Jazz gig. I have a 60 watt Roland KC-100 (deceiving name) and it's not enough. I want to double the size to 120+/- but the I thought about getting a small two speaker system with board which would be stereo. For small stages it would be ideal. As long as the price is right I think it's the best way to go. Especially with stereo keyboards.
Looking for suggestions for the best setup.

Cheers!!

Reaction score
Or 2 (in order of price)

2 Mackie Thump 12As
2 EV ZX A1s
2 QSC K8s

RCF do good stuff too. Behringer get a bad press in the US forums but they're worth a Google as well.

Look at the weight of the ones above - your back will thank you.

BTW the EVs and QSCs are quite a jump in price from the Mackies.

Reaction score
Keybs,

You might want to check out the Traynor K4 amp. It has a single 12" woofer but stereo midrange and tweeters in one box. I think the woofer has a 200 watt amp and the midrange and tweeters are on a 100 watt stereo amp. It has four stereo inputs two with EQ and can get really loud if need. Also the first channel has a tube overdrive that you can use which works great with Rhoades and Hammond sounds. For piano it sounds pretty good. I've played jazz piano on it in my trio and have also used it for funk and rock with my clonewheel and a Moog. Sounds fabulous for that.

You'll hear a lot of people going for two powered PA speakers which probably sounds good but if you are going to be using a few boards or modules then you'll need a mixer and then all the cables and boxes can become burdensome.

I went the single amp route and have been happy with it for the past three years or so. Bought it for jazz originally but got into a rock and a funk group recently and now really appreciate the power and volume and tube overdrive.

Reaction score
I'm currently experimenting with two of the Mackie powered speakers, and running my gear in stereo on-stage. When the EQ is dialed-in, the keyboards sound good, and the speakers offer plenty of power if needed. A side benefit of running stereo is that I can run my Neo Ventilator (Leslie 122 simulator) outputs to the separate speakers and it really enhances the leslie effect. I'm covering a wide range of sounds from piano, strings, horns, synth, hammond, etc so the powered speakers
handle the range of frequencies pretty. You do need a mixer for the keyboards if you use the Mackie powered speakers, as the thump series has only a balanced line-in. I got the TH15's so I can use the cabinets for a PA at jam sessions. Don

Reaction score
What are you doing to it? Are you rolling off some of the bass?
Yes, the TH15A cabinets ( 15" speaker) have more bottom end which would
be good for synth bass, but not necessarily for general keyboard use. The cabinets have a three way EQ on the back, and I cut the bass and leave the mids & highs around mid-point. I just started using these recently, so I'm still playing with them for the best all around settings.
I have a Motion Sound KP200S keyboard amp that sounds good with organ patches, but
it has two 10" speakers and is sorely missing the lo-mids, and lows needed for acoustic piano patches. My acoustic pianosand brass patches sound really good thru the TH15A's though.

Reaction score
Keybs,

You might want to check out the Traynor K4 amp. It has a single 12" woofer but stereo midrange and tweeters in one box. I think the woofer has a 200 watt amp and the midrange and tweeters are on a 100 watt stereo amp. It has four stereo inputs two with EQ and can get really loud if need. Also the first channel has a tube overdrive that you can use which works great with Rhoades and Hammond sounds. For piano it sounds pretty good. I've played jazz piano on it in my trio and have also used it for funk and rock with my clonewheel and a Moog. Sounds fabulous for that.

You'll hear a lot of people going for two powered PA speakers which probably sounds good but if you are going to be using a few boards or modules then you'll need a mixer and then all the cables and boxes can become burdensome.

I went the single amp route and have been happy with it for the past three years or so. Bought it for jazz originally but got into a rock and a funk group recently and now really appreciate the power and volume and tube overdrive.

As another satisfied Traynor K4 owner, I agree with this. As has also been pointed out in this thread, Behringers get slammed, but when times were tough and my old workhorse blew up on me, I reluctantly bought one (K3000FX) and it kept me gigging for 3 years. When I got my Traynor K4, the Behringer was retired to our rehearsal room and still gives good service.

And I'd certainly buy another Behringer before I'd get another Roland. As an acquantance of mine is fond of saying, "the only thing I'd run through a Roland KC amp is a chainsaw". But seriously folks . . .

That said, remember this: I subscribe to the belief (as do many) that NO self contained KB amp will ever beat a mixer and a pair of good quality powered speakers - technically a small PA.

But for me, it's not an option. I wish it were.:( Most of our venues just aren't big enough to justify the extra expense, hauling, or resulting sciatica of a "second PA".

At the one venue we play with an honest-to-goodness stage, everybody mics up everything. I use the Traynor in front of me as a monitor wedge. I run two XLRs from its self-contained DI to the PA mixer and we are all set.

At the smaller venues, the K4 more than holds its own . . . I can blow away even the most recalcitrant guitarist with the volume at 7 and each channel gain set at 6. Thankfully I seldom have to these days.:D

As the saying goes, your mileage may vary . . .

Reaction score
Traynor K4 - have you tried phoning round the music shops in Manchester? It's a big heavy combo. Have you considered a little mixer and a powered speaker?

Reaction score
Yep! Already have the following :-

Setup A = 1 x rack-mounted Frontline 8 channel mixer, Vintage Keys, JV1080, and ECKO 2 x 250W RMS per side power amp into 2 x custom-made 3-way speaker cabs (passive)

Setup B = 4 x L&R outputs from the 4 x boards into an 8 channel Peavey RD200 analogue mixer then into a 2 x 150W powr amp then same speakers

Setup C = 4 x L&R outputs from the 4 x boards into a USB-8 channel Alesis MultiMix8 mixer then the L&R outputs into 2 x channels on my Fender Sidekick100 combo

Need to do a full setup test and see which sounds the best combination soonest and then decide what to keep for gigging & rehearsals
and then sell the rest to fund a new Casio Pravia PX5 when it comes out perhaps? WelshPhil

Reaction score
Be sure to post your review of the new Privia once you've had a chance to play one.

Light (but not cheap) powered speakers you might look into (you could use the Alesis mulimix 8) - cheapest to most expensive:

Behringer B210D
Mackie Thump 12A
EV ZXA1
Yamaha DXR10 (or 8)
QSC K10 (or 8)

One of those on a stand would do with the little Alesis desk. Just thinking of light portable options due to your requirements.

Reaction score
Many thanks my friend. Will do! Went to Chester's DAwson's Music shop yesterday and was told the Korg Kronos 61 note they had in there was "the heaviest keyboard by miles" for a 61 note - but it has lots of bells and whistles - again, not what I need I don't think! Also will check out your powered speaker thoughts as well - many thanks !! Phil

Ask a Question