Best live setup

Reaction score
hi there. I've been making music for a long time now, and for the first time I'll try to make it live, so...I'm looking for the best way to build my setup for a live gig (I'm a solo artist...so it will be all by myself)... but since my technical knowledge is far from great, I'd like some help from you guys.

I build my songs mostly on Reason, Sonar and Cubase. What I'm planning to do is: play the recorded drums and most synths programmed, and play live the guitars, vocals and some synths.

Here is what I have in mind, and what I've been doing so far:

- I'm exporting everything I have on Reason to .wav file (except the synths I plan to do live) - drums pieces in one file, and each individual synth in its own file.
- I'm importing them into a DAW (firstly on Cubase, but most people say it will be best on Ableton Live. you guys agree? Gotta learn it before saying so).
- And then using Reason as rewire only for executing the synths I wanna play live with a MIDI controller.

then it will be just me, my guitar, my midi controller, a microfone, and my latptop.

and that's it.

Am I doing it right? Or, better saying, is this the best way? what would you recommend me to do and use?

Reaction score
HI Andre, welcome to the forum.
Why not consider recording them and converting them to MP3 format? Then you don't need a laptop, just a small MP3 player. MP3 quality is fine for live performance. Don

Reaction score
HI Andre, welcome to the forum.
Why not consider recording them and converting them to MP3 format? Then you don't need a laptop, just a small MP3 player. MP3 quality is fine for live performance. Don

thanks for the answer. Yeah, it will probably be the best solution to put everything pre-recorded on a single mp3 file. But....I still want to play live some synths I created on Reason with a MIDI controller. So the laptop will still be necessary...

anyway, don't you think I can have a better live control if I have everything (drums, synths and pre-recorded instruments) on different tracks? What is the best software to organize that?

Reaction score
I haven't tried using multiple tracks live, so I don't have a suggestion for a particular software that might work best. I had thought about trying that in the past using Cakewalk Sonor on my laptop. But, I found that after I had mixed and mastered those tracks I really did not need to worry about the individual tracks in the mix out front. In my case, I panned all of my music to the right stereo out, then put a click track on the left stereo out....the click was sent only to the drummer. The music was in our monitors, so everyone else could just play/sing along. Given all the work that went into creating the music, this was the easiest for me to manage live on stage. Don

Reaction score
i would suggest ableton live for this. You can have multiple tracks triggered at the same time as well as load vst instruments onto a midi keyboard. This is what I do

Ask a Question