?Best Practice Techniques?

Reaction score
As a beginning keyboard player, I respect the importance of practice techniques to develop coordination & other skills. However, there seems to be a divergence of opinions as to what are the best methods of practice. Most of the advice that I have read seems to be either (1) spend time each day on scales, arpeggios and/or Hanlon drills or (2) develop the necessary skills by actually challenging one's self to learn differ pieces of music which incorporate the necessary skills.

Although I suspect that I am asking something that is quite subjective, I would like to hear from some of the advanced players as to the "best" daily practice techniques that got them to where they are today.

Thank you so much.

Reaction score
Yeah, the number of times this has been asked is off the scales, bad pun intended.

There is mo right or wrong, just what works for you.

I would suggest writing your preferences down with times alloted.

ie
Loosen up with improvisation 5m
Scales 5m
Chords - root, 1st & second with progressions 1,5,4 etc 12 bars each, with arpeggios 5m
Score reading and practice on a specific song/riff etc 10m
Practice prior learned songs 10m
improv 5m

So a 40 minute session.

Multiple session may will serve you better than hours on one song where muscle memory come into play (sorry another bad pun there).

Create your own version of the above.

Then create another different version.

Try each for a month, then combine, or throw away.

I think you mean the Hanon series of exercises btw, suggest you look through them and include or otherwise

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yeah, the number of times this has been asked is off the scales, bad pun intended.

ie
Scales 5m
Chords - root, 1st & second with progressions 1,5,4 etc 12 bars each, with arpeggios 5m
improv 5m

So a 40 minute session.

Multiple session may will serve you better than hours on one song where muscle memory come into play (sorry another bad pun there).

ie
Scales 5m
improv 5m

So a 40 minute session.

Biggles,

Thank you the good suggestions. The idea of mixing up the practice sessions is appealing. In fact, I adhere to this dictum with other repetitive things I do. Keeps things fresh.

Reaction score
Just practice while you play? Is that not practicing?
Playing untill you get it right? Untill you know it as good as out of your head and do not make any mistakes anymore?

Ask a Question