Best/proper way to hook up Synth w/keys, desktop synth, and Mac with MIDI

Reaction score
Here's what I've got...

* Roland XP-30 (I use this as my MIDI controller and sometimes use the internal sounds)
* (planning to get) Behringer Deepmind 12d desktop model.
* Presonus Studio 24C USB interface for Pro Tools and Studio One, into Mac Mini M1.

Here's what I'd like to be able to do...
* Trigger the DeepMind 12d with the XP-30 keyboard.
* Trigger the DeepMind 12d with MIDI from my DAW via the PreSonus 24C.
* Trigger XP-30 sounds from MIDI within my DAW.
* Record MIDI to, and play softsynths within my DAW with the XP-30.

Can this all be done? I can do away with triggering XP-30 sounds from my DAW MIDI. That's not really critical.

My guess is...

* Hook up the DeepMind to the Mac Mini via USB, which will let me trigger the DeepMind from DAW MIDI.
* Hook up the XP-30 MIDI Out into the DeepMind MIDI In, which will let me play the DeepMind with the XP-30 keyboard.
* DeepMind MIDI Through into my Presonus 24C MIDI In which should let me trigger softsynths with the XP-30, and record MIDI in the DAW.
* Finally, Presonus 24C MIDI Out into the MIDI In on the XP-30, which should let me trigger the XP-30 sounds with DAW MIDI.

Not sure if that's right, or if I'm missing anything. Am I on the right track?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Just get a powered hub for the USB, plug them all in and let the mac handle the routing.

Also use the DIN MIDI to communicate between the synths when you just want to practice or experiment without the computer bootup time.

That configuration will handle anything you can throw at it.

Gary ;)

Ask a Question