Best resources/tips/techniques for learning sheet music?

Reaction score
Hello. I was wondering if I could get some help. I am going to begin learning to read sheet music soon, as I only have a very basic understanding of it. I've been playing using chord charts and by ear since I started, so I have not had much experience with it. I'm wanting to learn it in case I ever have a gig or anything that would require it.
Anything suggestions on where to begin and how to go about learning?

Also, if this belongs in another thread, or this needs to be posted anywhere else, please let me know.

Reaction score
You say ...... playing using chord charts.

Can you explain further?

ie
Are you playing chords, variations and arpeggiators with the right and Bass notes left handed?

Or another permutation?

If you want to play piano that is one way of learning, playing keyboard style is another, both are very different.

Gary’s thread is excellent but in addition you may like to check out some books or apps.

I have been looking at possibly buying a digital piano and with one of the Korg models they are including a three month trial of the piano learning site, skoove which you may want to checkout, I did not know about it so I have had a look and it seems interesting. I am considering signing up for a spell as my sight reading skills need a boost.

Reaction score
You say ...... playing using chord charts.

Can you explain further?

ie
Are you playing chords, variations and arpeggiators with the right and Bass notes left handed?

Or another permutation?

If you want to play piano that is one way of learning, playing keyboard style is another, both are very different.
I find the chord chart for the song I want to play, I listen to the song to make sure I understand the timing of the chord changes, and then I listen to the song and play the chords like the song (i.e alternating between RH chords and LH bass, adding sus2 and sus4, arpeggios, etc.) I don't use any keyboard effects, just my knowledge of improvisation and what I can hear.

Reaction score
Whilst I have been playing guitar for a rather long period of time I have only been playing keys for three years.

I took up keys due to osteoarthritis in my fingers especially my left makes accurate and fast fretting more or less impossible for me.

To get me started I bought a couple of books off Amazon by Kenneth Baker, one The Complete Keyboard Player and the other The Complete Piano Player.

These gave me a good grounding in keyboard technique and reading sheet music. The songs are pretty old in fifties, sixties and seventies so right up my street.

To me the key to reading sheet music, is to study the score, study it some more imagining the playing, then play it (starting slow), only play it two or three times then move on to learning another.

Learn the song fully and you are training your finger muscles, the more diverse you read and play, the quicker you will pick up reading and playing the score.

Good luck.

Ask a Question