Best Solo Violin Sound in Keyboard...

Reaction score
Hey Guys,
I'm new here. I'm a violin player by training but also play classic piano. I'm looking for a keyboard with a nice, real-sounding solo violin sound. I went to different stores and the best solo violin sound I found was in the Tyros 5 from Yamaha- pretty decent. I don't know if you guys are aware of other keyboards that could match that. I was not impressed with the Roland FA 08. The sound did not even get close to that from Tyros 5. I can state the same for the Trombone solo...the Tyros 5 was the best among several I tired around. Full decent orchestral sounds I could find in many of them. I have not tried the new Korg Kronos or the Yamaha Montage. Well, let me know. This makes a huge difference for me.
Thanks a lot guys.
Andre

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I've never played a Tyros, but the people who've owned them seem to really love them-- although many of those people have now upgraded to the Genos, which could perhaps be referred to as a "Tyros6 Plus" since it replaces the Tyros5 but is more than a Tyros.

Reaction score
Thank you. That's the reason I mentioned the Montage. I imagine that the sound would be the same or better. Unfortunately, I don't have any of these keyboards to try out at the nearby stores. A

Reaction score
the best solo violin sound I found was in the Tyros 5...I was not impressed with the Roland FA 08. The sound did not even get close to that from Tyros 5. I can state the same for the Trombone
That's not surprising. With only a handful of exceptions, the acoustic instruments of the FA come from the XV-5080, which is nearly 20 years old, and included (by today's standards) a small amount of ROM to handle its entire instrument set . There are some better string and horn sounds in some of the free downloadable expansions, but you likely wouldn't have heard them in a showroom demo unit. You can hear a sampling of the sounds of the expansions from the SRX demo at http://media.roland.com/en/IT/SRX_IT/index.html

Though if you like the Tyros, I suspect you'd like the Montage and MODX, as they at least share the Yamaha DNA. The other boards worth checking out are Kronos and Kurzweil Forte.

Reaction score
The Tyros 5 is a very popular keyboard and Yamaha instrument samples are generally pretty good but please be aware that the Tyros 5 was first released in November 2013 and hence its quite old for an Arranger keyboard.

The Genos is another Arranger and a much more recent addition to their lineup and Michael describes it well as a Tyros 6+ for that is what it is, I have heard an instore demo and had a very brief play of one mysel and it is an excellent unit, only downside is its (to me) eye watering price. It has been getting rave reviews.

Korg’s equivalent to the Genos is the PA4X which is excellent but for the price of a Genos here in the UK I could buy a PA4X and a Korg Krome.

I suspect that the unit for you will be a Yamaha so can I suggest that you also check out their PSR S975 Arranger which is half the price of a Genos, (its the next model down in Yamaha’s Arranger series of keyboards), the MODX is btw the more receint release and it shares much of the Montage tech but quote modernised for amazing sound playback.

I have played the S975 and the S775 and both sound good but for me the equivalent Korg PA1000 and PA700 Arrangers sound better and are certainly imho built with better looking materials.

Good luck with your search.

Reaction score
The MODX is a lower-priced, reduced-feature, lightweight version of the Montage. It has the same sound set. The Montage would have the slight edge in sound quality, it has the higher quality output section ("PAC" - Pure Analog Circuit). But the MODX is still a great board.

Reaction score
Hey guys. Thank you for the fantastic attention. It is really helpful! I agree, it seems that the Roland FA sound is a bit passe in terms of sound quality, at least if somebody is talking about solo bowed strings. I also agree with the Genos - it seems a fantastic keyboard and it is the best option as an arranger but I'm looking for a keyboard with real keyboard hammer action somewhat similar to my old Bosendorfer, which I deeply love. Yes, I like your suggestion for the MODX. That's something I'm considering due to its lower price.

tjw

Reaction score
I'm looking for a keyboard with real keyboard hammer action somewhat similar to my old Bosendorfer

Well, somewhat similar is, I'm afraid, all you're going to find there. Although Korg's is very, very good, and Yamaha's, too.

Ask a Question