Best sound modules for live use? Or best to use ipad maybe?

Reaction score
Wanted to start my saying, I know very very little about the module world haha so I’m sorry in advance for my ignorance. But here goes…

Basically, I’ve been looking for better sounds for live use. I only use my Juno DS for a handful of songs throughout the 3 sets a night and want more believable sounds than that board offers me currently. So far I’ve just been looking at different boards entirely, but now I want to see if going the sound module route might be more worth it? I know nothing about that realm, so just seeing what’s out there for something that sounds great but isn’t crazy money.

Sounds I’m looking for: piano, a good B3, believable horns, some synth pads for some 80s tunes, synth bass, and good EP’s are a plus but not necessary

Hoping for something that’s maybe $300-$500 (always down for used as well to save some dough) and something that’ll just plug into a midi controller and go. I’d need transposing and splitting as well. Are these features all usually available on sound modules? Would an ipad be better? Or am I way off in all of this and should just get a different board that I like the sound of more (though I can’t quite afford that currently haha)

Thanks so much in advance!!

Reaction score
Wanted to start my saying, I know very very little about the module world haha so I’m sorry in advance for my ignorance. But here goes…

Basically, I’ve been looking for better sounds for live use. I only use my Juno DS for a handful of songs throughout the 3 sets a night and want more believable sounds than that board offers me currently. So far I’ve just been looking at different boards entirely, but now I want to see if going the sound module route might be more worth it? I know nothing about that realm, so just seeing what’s out there for something that sounds great but isn’t crazy money.

Sounds I’m looking for: piano, a good B3, believable horns, some synth pads for some 80s tunes, synth bass, and good EP’s are a plus but not necessary

Hoping for something that’s maybe $300-$500 (always down for used as well to save some dough) and something that’ll just plug into a midi controller and go. I’d need transposing and splitting as well. Are these features all usually available on sound modules? Would an ipad be better? Or am I way off in all of this and should just get a different board that I like the sound of more (though I can’t quite afford that currently haha)

Thanks so much in advance!!
1) As for modules: you may have a look at https://www.midiplus.com.tw/en/product/Sound_Module/ and at matching YouTube videos. I'd find the "miniEngine USB" too much of a toy. The "miniEngine Pro" may be adequate. I'm unfamiliar with the "PianoEngine".

2) An iPad (or iPhone or iPod Touch) is likely to provide better sounds, but these may well require additional purchases. A mobile edition of sequencer Garage Band and its instruments are included. You wouldn't need the latest or greatest device of these, as even the venerable iPad 2 did a good job making music. (Don't purchase an old 32-bit device, though.) - On the other hand, making music hasn't really taken off on Android (to my knowledge, that is).

Disclaimer: I'm not a performing artist. :)

Reaction score

Hoping for something that’s maybe $300-$500 (always down for used as well to save some dough) and something that’ll just plug into a midi controller and go. I’d need transposing and splitting as well. Are these features all usually available on sound modules? Would an ipad be better?

I wouldn't expect any module in that price range to be better than the Juno DS you already have. Or, if better in one of the things you're looking for, then not in some other.

Yes, I'd say an iPad would be better. You could select the piano app you want, the organ app you want, the app you like best for horns, etc. so you could focus on getting apps that specifically are good for just the sounds you care about, and the apps are generally not expensive. In most cases, you can run the apps simultaneously (and split/layer them) by running them within an app like Camelot Pro or Keystage. (Garageband being a notable exception, it does not play well with others.)

Last edited:
Reaction score
GSI Gemini Dual DSP module. In my view, one of the best sounding modules on the market today.
  • Crumar Mojo Organ (VB3ii)
  • Three additional acoustic pianos
  • Alto, Tenor, Soprano Saxes
  • Brass, Trombone, Tuba
  • Trumpet
  • String Machine
  • Modeled Wurli 200A, sampled 206a "student" version
  • Modeled Fender Rhodes
  • Modeled CP80, sampled CP70
  • Kawai EP608 electric piano
  • Harpsichord
  • Modeled Hohner D6 Clav (all 4 filters and A,B,C,D pickup positions, and damper control)
  • Modeled Vox Continental and Farfisa
  • Mellotron
  • Flutes
  • VA Synth
  • Violins, Cellos, Woodwinds
  • DX7
  • Pads
  • Several other instruments I can't even think of at the moment
New Piano audio samples:

Steinway Piano

Yamaha C5 Grand

Other Instruments demo including VB3-ii

Because I did some regional touring I had two (one was a backup) in case of technical issues with the primary unit. I sold my backup about 1 week ago since I 'retired' from regional touring and actually never used the backup other than occasionally in the studio. Shame you didn't write a few weeks ago; you could have gotten a mint one (with warranty) for a great price.

Last edited:
Reaction score
The editing window on my previous post closed, so I just wanted to add... you can get a refurbished iPad for under $300, add the Lightning to USB3 Adapter (you want that model, which allows you to keep the charger and your MIDI controller plugged in at the same time), and you'll still be well within your $300-$500 range, including apps that can do what you asked for. You can start with just the iPad, adapter, and a couple of free or low-cost apps, and connect to your existing Juno DS. If it's not for you, Apple gives you 14 days to return the refurb iPad, Amazon gives you time to return the adapter, so you can try this out for practically nothing. If you're happy with the app setup, you can consider swapping out the Juno DS for some other board you might prefer as a controller.

Reaction score
An interface can be a nice addition. The currently available low-cost refurbs I linked to have headphone jacks, so you can just get the sound out that way (and for the purposes at hand, sound-in is not a factor).

If it's for nothing but 3 to 5 music apps, I'd go for the cheapest one. 32 GB isn't a lot, but it's enough for that in almost all circumstances. For $10 more, they have a model with 128 GB, but that model is a generation older. I'd be inclined to go for the newer one because, at least according to one report I read, it's 50% faster, which could help keep your latency as low as possible. Both models apparently have 3 GB of RAM, so that's the same either way.

Reaction score
Aaah interesting. I have an ipad so I’m gonna try it for sure. It never crossed my mind to try it because I use my ipad for song notes etc live. But I’ll give it a go at home and see. I also assumed you always needed an interface and I didn’t want to deal with that live. But I will if I have to. Definitely still a world I don’t know haha but I’ll try to figure it out. Thanks much everybody!

Reaction score
Oh, if you already have the iPad, then it's a no brainer to at least give it a try. Get that USB-Lightning adapter, and an 1/8" stereo out cable to whatever amp/speaker/mixer/etc. that you will be plugging it into (or to start with, you can just check it out through your headphones). The VB3m is a great, inexpensive organ app. You can start there.

Reaction score
Good apps for these things would include...

Ravenscroft 275 for piano
the aforementioned VB3m for organ (or B3x if you're feeling flush)
Heavy Brass for the horns
Model D (Moog) for synth bass

I never looked into synth pads. For EPs, I like Korg Module with its add-ons.

Ask a Question