Best Stage piano recommendations please?

Reaction score
Please can I ask for recommendations as to the best STAGE PIANO with built in piano sounds (Grand, Electric etc) I have recently bought an M-Audio ProKeys
88-note stage piano but have been absolutely gutted when I got to hear the so-called "excellent" onboard pianos (especially the Grand Piano) and the other electric piano sounds. I was less than impressed and will be selling the thing asap. Any other recommendations as to an alternative - urgently - please? Need it for reliable and really excellent quality Grand and electric piano sounds (not bothered about B3 / Organ sounds as have a great Roland VK-7 which rocks!

Also have one each of a) Roland JV1010 and b) Roland JV-1080 sound modules which I drive with a FATAR Studio900 MIDI 88-note controller but want to try to reduce the number of (heavy!) keyboards and boxes I have to transport and yet take a great set of sounds out to rehearsals & gigs etc.! Please can xomebody help me here urgently? Thanks eceryone! ;)

Reaction score
Really depends how much you're willing to spend.

Apparently the Roland V-Piano is phenomenal, but it's £5,000

The Yamaha CP1 isn't much cheaper at about £4,500

Then you've got the Roland RD700NX rolling in at just over £2,000, the Clavia Nord Stage 88 is around the same price I think, the Kawai MP8 is somewhere around the 2k mark aswell.

The Korg SV-1 is a snip at £1800 new, maybe less these days, you might be able to get a second Kawai MP9500 for this sort of money, but they're pretty rare as I understand it.

If it was me, and I had tried all these boards out, I'd go find a Roland A90EX second hand, grab one for £400 and it will still hold it's own against some of the best. The Korg SG ProX is meant to be very good too but I've not heard it, I'm not keen on Korg samples but that's just opinion.

Reaction score
Just a tip to help you decide: Roland's are going to have some of richest piano tones. I've had a Roland Juno Di for a while that is phenomonal.

Ask a Question