Best Stage Piano Under £500 (~$770)

Reaction score
I started a thread a while back, hoping to find a decent keyboard for less than £200. Figuring that ain't gonna happen i've decided to save up and get something of a little substance. So i've moved my maximum up to £500 (about $770).

Like everyone does, i want to get one which has the most convincing piano sound for that price with fully-weighted keys (preferably 88 of them). Good speakers on it are important too, as i don't think any of my amps are suitable for pianos.

The kinda things i'll be learning will mostly involve the sustain pedal, so a high maximum polyphony is essential. MIDI control is a bonus but not necessary.

Features like songs, tracks and other instrument sounds are irrelevant to me so i'm not worried about them. It does however need the feature of connecting to recording software for recording.

I've been looking at the Korg SP170, the Casio PX130 and the Yamaha P85. I've read that opinion is almost unanimous that Yamahas tend to be better, but i've also read that the P85 has weak speakers.

Can anybody recommend the best pianos for my price range? Thanks.

Reaction score
Hmm don't know about the stagepianos but no don't go for a Casio, casio sucks!! crappy sounds, childish looks and for me casio is a toy no no no I would suggest either a Yamaha of any kind really, Yamaha are after all top class in pianos or any Roland stagepianos.

There are only 3 stagepiano brands in my world (Roland, Yamaha and Kurzweil)

You could also check out the Roland fp7 it is a bit more expensive but you would not regret I promise! or the Kurzweil sp2xs

Reaction score
You could also check out the Roland fp7 it is a bit more expensive but you would not regret I promise! or the Kurzweil sp2xs

A bit more expensive?? The FP7s are nearly 3 times the OP's budget!

The Privias are actually pretty good value for money, and are much better quality than the rest of Casio's boards. In that range I'd also look at the M-audio ProKeys 88 (not the SX with semi-weighted keys), or if you are prepared to go ~£50 over budget, the Korg SP250 is one of the best pianos at this level. You might get a 2nd hand one for cheaper.

If you are able to try any of them out, do - it will be more useful than any advice we can give!

Reaction score
I've decided that i'm most probably going to get the Yamaha P85. It's the only one that i've been able to have a go at. The sound's Ok, the feels good and has a nice consistency (perhaps a tiny bit weak, but better than the Privia 330). If i can't stand the speakers later on i'll just buy some nice ones.

If i get this one, i'll be buying the stand and pedals for it too. So for those of you who own one or have spent some time playing one, is it worth its price. Also, does anyone have any suggestions of one that's better for the price?

Reaction score
The P85 is a great choice, i played at a church that had one for a while, it was great for what i needed it to do. also now at one of my rehearsal spaces there is one and i just hook up midi to it and im ready to go. for the price its great and i am a firm supporter of yamaha boards!

Ask a Question