Best Transcription Program

Reaction score
When improvising at a keyboard which is the best program to convert that music into a MIDI format that works on an Apple system. I will also need to manipulate that data, because I will make mistakes during the improv. I have used Encore for years. But dues to recent changes(from analog to digital) I have experienced many problems. I use a Yamaha silent series piano for input and a Roland SC-88 for output. I think I need a program that records the music but allows me to change the sounds not only the musical notation.

Reaction score
Finale is also good. My daughter has it on her laptop, and I have a cheaper (not as many bells & whistles) version on mine.

I've heard both good and bad about Sibelius too. Incredible notation software, but not very user friendly.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
NCH Crescendo is a free notation program that runs in Windows, Mac OS, and Android. While it doesn't accept input from, or playback to, a MIDI keyboard, it can import and export MIDI files-- so if your keyboard has an onboard song sequencer for recording songs, you can save your work to a MIDI file and import it into Crescendo for editing.

Ask a Question