Best versatile keyboard for live gigs

Reaction score
I play in a cover band that plays mostly classic rock and 80s music, and I'm trying to settle on a keyboard that I will use mainly for gigs. Given the rather complex 80s music, I often need to play using about 4 or 5 different patches in any given song. I've been using an Ensoniq ZR-76, which has some terrific sounds, but I'm thinking of replacing it with a new keyboard that would meet some of these requirements:
* Updated set of really good sounds, particularly patches for 70s and 80s songs
* Some degree of live sound manipulation through sliders or knobs (cutoff, etc)
* Good arpeggiator
* Ability to accommodate multiple splits and layers in performances to avoid tons of patch switches
* Enough simultaneous insert effects to let me play multiple patches in splits (the ZR is limited to one insert at a time)
* Any other features that would enhance live performance (loop sequencer would be good, vocoder would be fun but not necessary)
* More lightweight (shouldn't be hard; the ZR is ~ 50 lb)
* Expandability of sound library

I've been looking at the Yamaha MOXF and it seems to satisfy most of the above. (I looked at Motif XF but it didn't seem worth the extra money given the extra weight and a sampler that I imagine I won't use much in live performance). With respect to versatility for live performance, any thoughts on the MOXF vs. the new Roland FA-06 / -08, or alternatively are there any other keyboards in this class you would recommend?

Many thanks for your thoughts.

-Ben

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Take a look at the Kurzweil PC3K8 and I'm surprised you haven't looked at the Korg Krome or Kronos.

Gary

Ask a Question