Best weighted Synth/Workstation?

Reaction score
Hi

I'm about to redefine my life and put my playing back at the top of the list, where it should have been before I became sensible.

Question is this: I have 1500GBP to spend on a (preferably) weighted synth. I've been out of the market for a few years - my last workstation was a Korg 01/W.

Was looking at the Roland Fantom series. What are the Korg/Yamaha options these days? I'm thinking that the features on an FX8 might be wasted at the moment and I might be best to start again with something a little simpler until my fingers loosen up and I start gigging again.

Any advice gratefully received!

Cheers

Reaction score
You have more then enough money to buy yourself a great keyboard.

FantomX is a great keyboard, and on the other side you have Yamaha's MOTIF ES (and the new XS), or KORG's M3

Like I said a million times, it's all up to you. If you know what are you looking
for in a keyboard your choice will be simple.

All 3 of these keyboards are great. I own a MOTIF ES myself and I must
say I haven't played a better keyboard in my life... It has everything you'll ever need.

But I recommend you make a list of what you need, what sounds, what options etc... and go out and try all of these 3 keyboards yourself.

Reaction score
Hi

Thanks for your reply. Like i say i'm coming into playing again after an absence. I hear you about the Motif (looks good) and the Fantom series. I've since being doing some research and found a killer deal on the Yamaha MO8 for 799GBP. :cool: This has all I need at the moment until I get into the groove again and start building my studio. The feedback seems excellent. http://www.keyboardmag.com/article/yamaha-mo8/Sep-06/22696

Being completely honest the technology on the Fantoms/Motif would be lost with me just now. The MO8 has the benefits of using the same Motif ES engine but with a few missing 'pro' options such as decreased polyphony. My first requirement was for an 88 note weighted action synth - the MO8 I think is the ideal choice - leaving me more to spend on studio monitors etc (incidentally what would you reccomend?!)

cheers

Reaction score
MO is a great keyboard, and as you said, it has everything MOTIF ES has wit less "pro options".
Since you're going for MO8 you don't have to worry about the keys.
(motif has waaaay better keys than the MO6 version)

MO6 was my first choice a month ago when I went into shopping but my dealer
lost the whole package coming from the US and actually that was the best thing
that happened to me cause I've got a MOTIF ES6, with a gator case and a sustain pedal for almost the same price. (1200€)

I hope you'll enjoy your new keyboard, and welcome to the Yamaha family :)

Ask a Question