Better Moxf8 manual?

Reaction score
I purchased a Yamaha moxf8 after reading the reviews which said great keyboard but lousy manual. Im hoping some aftermarket company has written a usable manual.
Im very frustrated that i cant utilize but a fraction of it. Ive asked the local music store to let me know when the yamaha rep will be in so i can get some help. Id be happy to hire someone. Any ideas?

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Which manual are you looking at? There's an 80-page Owner's Manual, but there's also a 163-page Reference Manual, not to mention the other assorted documents-- the Data List, the Synthesizer Parameter Manual, the Editor Owner's Manual, and the Remote Editor Owner's Manual. All of these documents can be downloaded from the Support/Downloads area of Yamaha's web sites-- e.g., the link for the US web site is as follows:

http://download.yamaha.com/search/p...ry_id2=16381&category_id3=&product_id=1816956

Reaction score
Which manual are you looking at? There's an 80-page Owner's Manual, but there's also a 163-page Reference Manual, not to mention the other assorted documents-- the Data List, the Synthesizer Parameter Manual, the Editor Owner's Manual, and the Remote Editor Owner's Manual. All of these documents can be downloaded from the Support/Downloads area of Yamaha's web sites-- e.g., the link for the US web site is as follows:

http://download.yamaha.com/search/p...ry_id2=16381&category_id3=&product_id=1816956
Have to check that out myself, there is a DVD I have with Phil Clendininn that pertains to the MOX - the predecessor to the MOXF. It still applies to the MOXF. It's a very helpful DVD which explains more but still not enough. It will show you how to use the patterns already on the MOXF to string a chain to make a song. Unfortunately it doesn't go into detail about the song mode which I had to learn through trial and error if you want to build from scratch with your own ideas and not with the keyboards. A hint if you don't already know, go into song mode and pick an empty user song. Use category search in the voice setting to find the voice you want with each track. You may have to press the record button to find voice on the display. With the arpeggio settings on, you can also use many of the apeggios for different instruments in "type". This way you can insert drum beats and fills and guitar and keyboard patterns, etc. The "job" button will take you to a list, scroll down to "event" and from here you can erase or copy, or insert measures along with other functions. You can also undo anything you've just done with that option. Make sure to save everything along the way with the "store" button as you go so you don't lose what you just created. It's not hard once you get the hang of it. Of course you already may know these things. If you want to check out what the MOXF6 or 8 is capable of, listen to some compositions on Youtube. I especially recommend a guy named G Core. Check out his Mission Impossible theme song, it is awesome. I find this keyboard is not a very intuitive keyboard to learn and use, but like anything else once you get it down, it's there. I found the Roland Juno G in comparison very easy. There is another DVD out there that is more recent but can't find it online right now. Check out the above resources and hopefully this may have helped.

Chuck

Reaction score
One correction on that you don't need to hit the record button to access your voice tracks but you do to access the arpeggio edit and type.

Ask a Question