Blofeld Multiplier question

A

Anon_TJ

Hi All,

I've had the Blofeld for a couple of weeks now, but for the life of me, can't figure out what the multiplier does. I've seen Mark Pigott's tutorials, but as helpful as he is, he doesn't really explain what they do. I understand all the other conventional stuff the Blofeld does, but the multiplier is a real mystery to me. I posted to the Waldorf website, but no responses yet. Does anyone have any knowledge of this? I suspect it's similar to a Side Chain in NI's Massive, but not sure. Thanks!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Here's the google translation of something I picked up from a French site.

https://fr.audiofanzine.com/rack-mo...t.275480,synthese-fm-avec-le-blofeld,p.2.html

Just to clarify a point that has been mentioned:
the multiplication of two signals is not the fm but the ring modulation (French ring modulation), which gives dissonant metallic sounds that can also be obtained by the fm

The FM allows this dissonant sounds of the ring modulation but also bcp more! the fm is the high frequency modulation of the pitch of one oscillator by another (more stories of env on this modulation but leave that aside for the general principle)

Otherwise for the comparison with the plug must put things in their place, okay such a plug in 16 instances would take bcp resource is on but each instance would have its own track with equalization and compression while there will be recorded track by track because of the unique output ... very different use in sum! one is not better than the other each his tastes! I think a better integration like the Snow would have been a good thing all the same, especially since Microwave wave tables are a technology that can interest a lot of people!

So from what i can gather it is a type of mathematical multiplication operator for FM and Ring Modulated signals.

In other words, another freaky FX to play with. :)

Gary ;)

A

Anon_TJ

Here's the google translation of something I picked up from a French site.

https://fr.audiofanzine.com/rack-mo...t.275480,synthese-fm-avec-le-blofeld,p.2.html

So from what i can gather it is a type of mathematicalo multiplication function for FM and Ring Modulated signals.

In other words, another freaky FX to play with. :)

Gary ;)

Cheers Gary, that helps. I'm fluent in French so that should be helpful. Probably trial and error will sort it out. Sorry about the misunderstanding earlier, cleared up now. I appreciate your knowledge and help with keyboards.

All the best,

Tim

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Water under the bridge Tim. We all try and help each other out here to best of our abiltiies and try to keep the politics and personalities out of it.

Regards,

Gary ;)

A

Anon_TJ

Water under the bridge Tim. We all try and help each other out here to best of our abiltiies and try to keep the politics and personalities out of it.

Regards,

Gary ;)
For sure.

The Blofeld is a peculiar little guy, with strange programming options, I see you have a Sledge, and I think they are related. From what I understand, the Blofeld is more powerful, but the Sledge has less menu diving. I guess my ultimate purchase would be a Virus or a Prophet Rev2, or even a Nord. Count yourself lucky if you have any of those.

But oddly, and I hate to admit it, my software synthesizers would blow any hardware synthesizer away. The potential of say NI's FM8 or Absynth or Massive is incredible.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Actually I own both a Blofeld Desktop and a Studiologic Sledge.

The relationship between the two is a sort of bastard half brother relationship. The sledge was designed around the blofeld but implemented by Studiologic and has much more hands on access when it comes to tweaking and developing sounds. Where it's lacking is a proper computer patch editor and the ability to directly import Blofeld patches without some voodoo programming and conversions.

Three's also a very weird conflict in my Cakewalk when I import Instrument Defintiion Files for both machines into my projects. Either one will always default in Cakewalk to the INS settings for the last one loaded.

Numerically the patches are not affected, but the patch names get screwed up between the two in my projects.

Either way, I'm not prepared to give up either synth. Between the two there's a world of sound to be explored.

Gary ;)

A

Anon_TJ

Thanks Gary, you've just about talked me into buying a Sledge. The Prophet Rev2 desktop is my other dream, for some real analogue. The out of reach dream is the Yamaha Montage. It has FM Synth capabilities (8 ops) that are beyond imagination. I have an old DX21 with 4 ops, and I find that that difficult to program....

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
For real analog I have a Behringer Deepmind 6 as well as two other VA synths. The M-Audio Venom and the Novation Ultranova.

With a decent assortment of analog and VA synths you can achieve some pretty awesome layers.

Gary ;)

Ask a Question