Book: FastTrack Keyboard 1 - fingering for songs 21 to 35 confusing

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone else out there is reading FastTrack Keyboard 1. If so, do you find the fingering specified for songs 21 through 35 confusing? It seems to imply that the right hand is moving, but the text makes no mention of it. Whats up with that? Am I missing something?

Reaction score
For example in exercise 11 here is what I can tell:

1) Looking at the first 4 notes it appears that you place your thumb (1) on the B key. Easy enough, the notes fall into place easily with the other 3 notes. But the book doesn't say how the 5th note suddenly is played with the 2 second finger. I am suppose to move my hand fully to the C position. Am I supposed to cross. There are so many mysteries like this that the book doesn't explain. Help!! Thank you so much!

Attachments

• 20190819_164441_2.jpg
    20190819_164441_2.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 162
Reaction score
You lift your entire hand during the rest. Then reposition it with the index finger (2) on the D.

Oh that is awesome! That is what I thought but I am surprised the book didn't mention it. It was confusing because the section talked about stretching fingers but it didn't make sense to stretch as moving the entire hand feels more natural. Thanks again what a great help!!!

Reaction score
Has the book shown or explained how to finger notes running up and down the keybed?

I will assume not, so try this.

First with the thumb on your right hand number 1 the remaining fingers are 2, 3, 4 & 5.

Starting on C play it with your thumb (1)
Play D with 2
Play E with 3
Play F with 1 by bringing 1 under the other fingers
Play G with 2
Play A with 3
Play B with 4
Play C with 5

Now moving down
Play C with 5
Play B with 4
Play A with 3
Play G with 2
Play F with 1
Play E with 3 by bringing 3 over the other fingers
Play D with 2
Play C with 1

If you spend a few minutes a day practicing this with both right and left hands it will become second nature. You can use it if you practice Scales.

What it is then used for is when you scan your sheet music you see where a specific digit can be used to play the note since this digit places the hand in the best position for subsequent notes.

In your image the one beat rest gives time to reposition the hand and as Paul stated use 2 to play the D then as you play notes up to the A with 5 it puts your hand in a static position so as you play the notes coming back down the C is played with 1, so it is all about ease of movement.

TIP
Using a metronome as you practice the hand movements will help timing and you can start slow and move up to faster Tempos which in future will help fast keyboard runs.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Just awesome information!!! Can you guys help me figure out one more song? I went ahead this time and marked it up with my interpretation. Can you tell me if I have this song mapped correctly? So my understanding is this song has no fingers that cross, everything happens by moving the hand to various positions. What's great is the help you provided me is giving me a good understanding of how the rest of the songs are supposed to be played. I think they write these books with as little help as possible so you will give up and get an instructor. That is my theory anyway. :):):)

Attachments

• GoodNightMyFans.JPG
    GoodNightMyFans.JPG
    67.1 KB · Views: 150
Reaction score
Has the book shown or explained how to finger notes running up and down the keybed?

I will assume not, so try this.

First with the thumb on your right hand number 1 the remaining fingers are 2, 3, 4 & 5.

Starting on C play it with your thumb (1)
Play D with 2
Play E with 3
Play F with 1 by bringing 1 under the other fingers
Play G with 2
Play A with 3
Play B with 4
Play C with 5

Now moving down
Play C with 5
Play B with 4
Play A with 3
Play G with 2
Play F with 1
Play E with 3 by bringing 3 over the other fingers
Play D with 2
Play C with 1

If you spend a few minutes a day practicing this with both right and left hands it will become second nature. You can use it if you practice Scales.

What it is then used for is when you scan your sheet music you see where a specific digit can be used to play the note since this digit places the hand in the best position for subsequent notes.

In your image the one beat rest gives time to reposition the hand and as Paul stated use 2 to play the D then as you play notes up to the A with 5 it puts your hand in a static position so as you play the notes coming back down the C is played with 1, so it is all about ease of movement.

TIP
Using a metronome as you practice the hand movements will help timing and you can start slow and move up to faster Tempos which in future will help fast keyboard runs.

According to the music. Measure, one looks like the thumb should start on B (1). I am seeing

Measure 1
Starts in B Position
Play B with 1
Play C with 2
Play D with 3
Play E with 4

Measure 2
Move to C Position
Play D with 2
Play E with 3
Move to D Position
Play A with 5
Play G with 4
Move to C Position
Play E with 3

Let me know what your thoughts are. Try it out on the keyboard. You'll see what I mean. The book doesn't mention stretching fingers at this segment in the book. This is why the book is so confusing. Great book but not enough rehearsal notes.

Reaction score
Just awesome information!!! Can you guys help me figure out one more song?
I think you're on the right track. I don't see any cause to cross fingers over here.

A general tip. The indications on which finger should play which note are somewhat arbitrary. They are a guideline designed to work as ergonomically as possible - but there are no "rules" as such when it comes to fingering. If you follow the fingerings you see it should certainly help, but if you find something else that is more comfortable and effective no-one will censure you for doing it your own way.

As you become more advanced you'll see that the sheet music you read does not have fingering suggestions. But by then you should have a good understanding of what works for you and what doesn't.

Good luck!

Reaction score
You have it cracked!

As Paul states there are no rules merely suggestions which you modify to suit your skills.

The beauty of practicing the crossing fingers is if you do make an error in which finger to use the crossing finger technique will get uou out of trouble and back on track.

Ask a Question