Brand new to keyboards but eager to learn

Reaction score
I've recently decided that i wanted to pick up keyboarding. I have some soft of music background i can play a guitar pretty well so i have basic knowledge of music and how to read it but i was wondering if anyone could tell me what is a pretty good and economical keyboard to pick up. Also, my favorite bands are Coldplay and Muse and other bands like that that have piano's in them so if anyone could tell me any good "starter" music i would be interested in that would be great. Please excuse my complete lack of knowledge on this subject.

Reaction score
Welcome to the forums thedanman :)

I think a good economical keyboard for beginners would be the Yamaha DGX-220. It has plenty of sounds, that are good enough for starters, split and dual functions (the names pretty much explains themselves, but if you don't know what that is, just ask :)) 16 banks to save your settings, and even a Lesson function! And I still think it's one of the cheaper keyboards, that are not toys.

If you've been playing piano before entering the world of keyboards, you might want to have weighted keys, which the DGX-220 hasn't. But if you haven't played the Piano before, the lightweighted keys might be what you're after.

As for the "starter music", you might be able to hear by yourself which one of the songs that you like that might be easy to play. I barely listen to Coldplay or Muse, so I might have a hard time finding easy-to-play songs by them. And imo, if you want to get started, you should play something that you enjoy playing, and not only play it because it's easy ;)

Reaction score
That yamaha does look like a pretty good keyboard. It seems a lot of other keyboards i'm looking at have 61 keys or just the whole 88 and i was wondering if there's a huge difference. Obviously if i was to aspire to fully play a grand piano i would go for the 88 but is 61 a good compromise as well?

Reaction score
61 keys might just as well be enough for beginners, as even the top-notch keyboards come in 61-key versions. You might start to feel a little bit limited when playing with both hands, though, but I doubt that won't be a problem.

So if you find a 61 key keyboard that's a perfect match to what you're looking for, go for it :)

Ask a Question