building a PA for keyboard

Reaction score
I am playing two keyboards, MOXF8 and an ancient Roland XP30 (soon to be replaced). I use a pair of Behringer powered PA speakers and add a pair "bookshelf" speakers to help cover the mid to high frequencies as I find the Behringers sound a bit flat and boxy.
Obviously a cobbled together setup that sounds okay but doesn't travel well.
Recently one of the Behringers developed a fatal buzz/hum and I'm ready to start with a fresh DIY setup.
I have a Behringer FBQ313102 Ultragraph graphic equalizer that has left/right and sub channel with crossover. Got a good deal on a solid state 1200 watt amp with left/right and sub channels (L-250W/R-250W/ sub-700W). My plan is to play stereo through two speakers + sub. I generally play in my practice space and when I do play out I will be playing small venues. Obviously I have more power than needed for my purposes.
The question I have is how small I need to go to to put together two speakers and a sub for the spaces I will likely be playing. in?

Reaction score
Depends on what you mean by “small venues”.

One of the bands I’m in uses two 1000 watt 15” powered speakers without subs and these cope adequately with rooms of up to 200 capacity. We obviously don’t use a power amp.

We run the keyboards through our PA but also vox, guitar, and bass drum.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Depends on what you mean by “small venues”.

Bragging again Paul? :D :D :D I swear we can dress you up but we just can't take you anywhere. :D :D :D

(I kid you out of respect :) )

As for the speakers? I think with 1200 watts he doesn't need to go any bigger than 12 inch woofers. For highs and Mids a set of 8 inch Nearfield monitors should do the trick. And he could practice using just the monitors and leave the subs switched off.

And if the OP thinks the XP-30 is an antique then I'm afraid my sweatshirts have been around longer than he has :D :D :D

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Ha Gary - all good my friend!

I know you're having a bit of fun with me, but my point being that "small venue" is a subjective term which makes it difficult to answer the question.

Personally I wouldn't (and don't) bother with subs at all in what I consider to be small rooms, as the above post illustrates. Just another heavy bit of gear to carry around. I definitely wouldn't use them in a rehearsal space.

Reaction score
I have been using Behringer Eurolive B215 powered speakers for a few years.. and haven't been really happy with the sound quality when playing in my practice space I have been adding a pair of bookshelf speakers at "ear height" stands and turning the powered speakers way down to cover the low mid and bass . I'm pretty happy with that sound but it's not practical for playing out. When one of the Eurolive powered speakers went bad I decided that it wasn't going to replace it, but assemble a stereo system more like what I'm playing in my practice space but large enough to play out. Playing out for me is never more than a large room, think coffee shop not concert hall.
I really like the XP-30 but after a decade of regular use it started having mechanical problems. I opened it up and replaced the broken keys, and now the volume control is on it's way out. I fear it's not long for this world. I'm replacing it with a Yamaha YC61.
The near field monitors is a good suggestion, actually similar to what I am playing through in my practice space with a little extra bottom from the B215 Eurolive speakers.
The plate amp I have is designed to drive two 12" passive speakers and an 18" sub. I know I will never need that kind of volume or reach. I was thinking maybe a pair of 2way (10"and tweeter) and 1X15" sub
BTW- I also have a Hammond M3 that actually IS an antique. Built in 1953 it's a year older than me ;)

Ask a Question