Burt Bacharach, master of pop songwriting, dies aged 94

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score

Quote -----------------------------------------------------------

Burt Bacharach, the songwriter and performer who turned easy listening into high art, has died at 94. A representative for Bacharach confirmed to the Washington Post that the singer died at home in Los Angeles of natural causes.

In all, he scored 73 Top 40 hits in the US and 52 in the UK.

Musicians, admirers and friends paid tribute to the late performer shortly after the news broke. “I’m so sad to hear about Burt Bacharach. Burt was a hero of mine and very influential on my work,” wrote the Beach Boys’ Brian Wilson on Twitter. “He was a giant in the music business. His songs will live forever.”

In his tribute, the Kinks’ Dave Davies described Bacharach as “a great inspiration” and “one of the most influential songwriters of our time.”

Born in Kansas City, Missouri, in 1928 and raised in New York, Bacharach would sneak into jazz clubs underage to hear performers such as Count Basie and Dizzy Gillespie, while immersing himself in the work of composers such as Stravinsky and Ravel. He was classically trained at schools in Montreal, New York and California, and, following a spell in the US army, he became a piano accompanist to musicians, including Vic Damone, the Ames Brothers and his first wife, Paula Stewart. He also worked as an arranger and conductor for Marlene Dietrich when she toured Europe in the late 50s and early 60s.

Snip ---------------------------------------------------------

I'll never listen to supermarket Muzak the same way...

You had a good run Burt..

Happy trails...

Gary ;)

Reaction score
For some of us, his music was the soundtrack of our lives. We are fortunate he passed our way and left us the greatest gift of all...his wonderful music. Even those that are not familiar with his name...they have listened to his music: Tony award for Promises, Promises; Oscar for Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid and Grammy for That's What Friends Are For. His songs were covered by everyone from the Beatles to Elvis Costello to Frank Sinatra.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Su_uh Innocent Nelson

Latest Threads