Buying 76 keyboard for gigging

Reaction score
I want a recommendation on a simple 76 key keyboard for gigs. I will only consider weighted action ( GHS type)
keyboards. I have played the Yamaha P series ( 115) , the drawbacks are that it really only
has piano, EP and organ. Although I like the action and the weight is certainly portable, it would be nice to have some
of the options of the more advanced workstations, like drum machine, strings etc. I'm open to all brands. Of course
budget is a factor ( I know the NORD is an option but too $$$).
MY QUESTION: Can I use an external tablet ( iPAD /Surface) and apps to supplement those sounds and accompaniments ?

Fmoov

Reaction score
Maybe if you advise on budget we can help more.

Re-external tablet, it all depends upon what keyboard you go for.

With many keyboards there are add on packs/sounds available both free and paid.

Reaction score
Maybe if you advise on budget we can help more.

Re-external tablet, it all depends upon what keyboard you go for.

With many keyboards there are add on packs/sounds available both free and paid.

Looking for a portable weighted action keyboard under $1000.00
Fmoov

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Perhaps a Kurzweil SP4-7?

If 88 keys are not a dealbreaker also look at the New SP6.

Additional voices can be added to either using them as a controller and running a VSTi on a laptop or iPad.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
I can't recommend a keyboard but I can tell you that I use my iPad to add additional sounds to my Kronos. I've never tried to see how easy it is to change sounds though and I've only ever done it in the basement at jam parties.
i could be mistaken but I do know that there is a Korg M1 app and I would guess that you can easily change sounds on it through midi. I have an iRig adapter that I like to use for the standard 5 pin din cables. I've also successfully used the iPad camera kit with the USB from my Kronos.
The thing is I've never tried having it change programs like I would on the keyboard. I've just had the volume on my Kronos down and used the sound from the iPad just to play the app sound that I wanted.
I know that doesn't help much.

Reaction score
Fmoov, as you've probably discovered by now, there are no 76-key (or 73-key) hammer action boards with sounds at under $1,000 (U.S., anyway). Your choices are to go with 88 keys, or go with a non-hammer action, or spend more, or go with no sounds (i.e. getting all the sound from the attached Surface/iPad you talked about). In that latter case, you could go with a Studiologic SL73 Studio. For an 88 with sounds, you could look at Korg Kross 2, Roland Juno DS88, Yamaha MX88, Casio PX360 or PX5S. Not all of them have drum machines, though, I never checked into that feature. All of them can drive an iPad/Surface, but some do a better job of it than others, i.e. they have enough MIDI functionality that you can call up either internal or external sounds from the board's front panel, or even a split/layered combination of the two. I know the Kross and PX5S have that feature, at least... I don't think the others do. Kross has drum machine features, that might be the best choice feature-wise... but not only is it 88 rather than 76, but it's a pretty big 88. Much bigger than the Casios, for example.

Reaction score
Fmoov, as you've probably discovered by now, there are no 76-key (or 73-key) hammer action boards with sounds at under $1,000 (U.S., anyway). Your choices are to go with 88 keys, or go with a non-hammer action, or spend more, or go with no sounds
Yep you've set us an impossible task here @Fmoov.

Unless you're prepared to look around for a pre-loved keyboard, of course. After much searching, I purchased my beautiful Korg SV1-88 second-hand for the equivalent of around $1300 USD, which represents a great value in this country, where keyboards cost a fortune!

But 7x weighted keyboards are not in abundance (at least not here), which makes your task more difficult than mine was.

Reaction score
I want a recommendation on a simple 76 key keyboard for gigs. I will only consider weighted action ( GHS type)
keyboards. I have played the Yamaha P series ( 115) , the drawbacks are that it really only
has piano, EP and organ. Although I like the action and the weight is certainly portable, it would be nice to have some
of the options of the more advanced workstations, like drum machine, strings etc. I'm open to all brands. Of course
budget is a factor ( I know the NORD is an option but too $$$).
MY QUESTION: Can I use an external tablet ( iPAD /Surface) and apps to supplement those sounds and accompaniments ?

Fmoov

Reaction score
something similar to the Yamaha s70 sx, is perfect, good array of sounds, good pianos, organs are so so, only drawback is weight it is 65 pounds but built very well

Reaction score
Bingo ! Thanks for all the replies, but I was looking at the Yamaha P-125, which is an 88 key model.
I just noticed today that they have released the same keyboard in a 73 key model The Yamaha P-121.
I plan to go check it out , but most likely will purchase.

Fmoov

Reaction score
If they have a Roland DS and Korg Kross 2 then check them out, both are available in 88 key versions and either will be way more versatile than the Yamaha and considerably lighter.

Reaction score
Bingo ! Thanks for all the replies, but I was looking at the Yamaha P-125, which is an 88 key model.
I just noticed today that they have released the same keyboard in a 73 key model The Yamaha P-121.
I plan to go check it out , but most likely will purchase.

Fmoov
I've been looking at the P-121 online too. It looks like it won't be available until Oct. this year.

Ask a Question