Buying a new keyboard

Reaction score
howdy!

I'm sick and tired of my keyboard, (yamaha psr-1000) so i decided to buy a new one!.. the reason i got over this one is because it is more of a one man band sorts of keyboard, and i need a keyboard that will have more sounds, no accompaniment, perhaps a sampler some lfos and such..

i've been looking at Rolands fantom x6 or 7, and i thought i could get a feedback!

I need the keyboard for rocking purposes with my band:)
oh and recording would be welcome too!

thanks!

Reaction score
Dada,

The Fantom X-series workstations have an 8 track audio recorder to record external sources(aside from it's 16 track sequencer)-which makes it a very unique & useful recording tool in this price range,but I demo'd one at a GuitarCenter for about an hour and the sounds were shockingly bad(in my opinion)!

There was not a single sound on that board that impressed me.

I then spent a few minutes on the Yamaha Motif XS6 and I was very impressed(which is astonishing,because I never liked Yamaha keyboards before the XS-seies came out)!

However though,for an additional $300,you can take a major step up to a Korg M3 61 key workstation,as this is good as it gets in this price range.

You really should visit a SamAsh or a GuitarCenter if you have one nearby and check out these 3 workstations for yourself.

Elwood

Reaction score
Dada,

As far as sounds are concerned, it depends on what sounds good to "you" as well as what kind of sounds your after....Nothing beats yamaha's sounds of Acoustic instruments in my opinion...kurzweil beats em all in brass and orchestral sounds

Also, dont assume your taking a "step up" in a board just because it costs more money....in many cases, its just a difference in supply and demand....dont get me wrong, there should be a differnce in quality between a 500.00 and a 1500.00 board....thats a given....but to think you would "step up" for 300.00 more i think is inaccurate....just my opinion....at the end of the day, it still comes down to what YOU think sounds good

keyplayer

Reaction score
well regarding your replys i'd like to thank both of you for helping me out!

Elwood:

i have to admit that i'm not familiar with motif's although i had a glance at an SE at my local store, and it somehow felt like it was a nice keyboard and the sounds were of the hook, but i kinda missed the real time control knobs, and the D-beam, and such stuff for creating those weird spacey sounds. And that's were i usually find the problem because i need standard sounds from organs, pianos, strings and such, and i also need those electronic ones. Don't know, maybe i'm totally wrong here, as i said i don't know much about motifs..

Reaction score
I own a motif es rack,,,also own a roland juno g which has the fanthom sound engine...I can only say that if you need more accoustic type realistic sounds, you cant go wrong with the motif....if synthy type sounds with realtime control is important, your better off with a fanthom or the m3....the juno g that i have has some fat synth sounds in it....or you could consider a rack module for acoustic sounds and a synth for synthized sounds and drive them both with the synth board...you could get both pieces of gear for around 2000 to 2500 if you dont tie up your entire bank roll in the fanthom....i dunno.....just a thought

Reaction score
isn't there something that combines both?:)
keyplayer thanks, i'll definetly take it into consideration!..

oh, while i'm at it, i've got another question that's been bothering me for quite some time now, what is the best programe with virtual effects and stuff once you connect your keyboard with a computer.. i'm still kinda new with the computer stuff..

Reaction score
oh, while i'm at it, i've got another question that's been bothering me for quite some time now, what is the best programe with virtual effects and stuff once you connect your keyboard with a computer.. i'm still kinda new with the computer stuff..[/quote]

Depends on who you ask......i personally use a hardware recorder....but as long as you have a program that accepts "VST" plugins you will be able to use any effect you want.....pro tools LE, Sonar 7, cubase, are all very popular software packages....but to tell you the truth, i dont know enough about them to give you much info....just remeber the vst thing

Reaction score
Dada,

Also, dont assume your taking a "step up" in a board just because it costs more money....in many cases, its just a difference in supply and demand....dont get me wrong, there should be a differnce in quality between a 500.00 and a 1500.00 board....thats a given....but to think you would "step up" for 300.00 more i think is inaccurate....just my opinion....

keyplayer

Keyplayer,

I'd like to point out to you,that while I do agree sound quality is subjective from one person to another,there is the matter of what you are actually getting,when you choose the Korg M3.

I also agree that you do not always get what you pay for and the Alesis Ion exemplifies this.

The Alesis Ion as wonderful build quality,sounds & features that cannot be had with other synths costing twice as much as the Ion.

The advice your giving Dada is good common sense,but I do have my reasons for stating that the Korg M3 is a step up(perhaps he may decide it's not right for him)but nonetheless-it is in fact,a step up in terms of technology and I should have explained this in detail.

First & foremost,what sets apart the Korg M3 from other workstations,is that the M3 shares the same sound generating chip as the Korg Oasys(which is the most technologically advanced workstation synth ever created) and there are Oasys sounds included in the M3's 256MB of ROM.

I own the Korg Triton Extreme and I bought it for it's authentic acoustic sounds,flexible controls & exceptional synth sounds & the Korg M3 has advancements beyond the Triton Extreme-as my keyboard is the M3's predecessor.

Dada mentioned that he wanted good acoustic sounds,synth sounds & recording capabilities & the M3 delivers in all these areas quite admirably.

The M3 has a very usable amount of manual controls on the face of the board for sound manipulation,as well as possesing many filters,lfo's,crossfades & 4 velocity zones per oscillator,giving you an immense array of layering & sound sweetening potential.

I myself,do love the quality of the pianos of the Kurzweil,as well as the powerful V.A.S.T. synth engine on the Kurzweil K-series workstations,but I did not mention Kurzweil to Dada,because thier cheapest workstation that they make,is a 61 key & it's $3,000-so I figured it was out of his price range.

Dada,

Based on my several years of workstation eXperience,as well as research on analogue modeling synths and now actually owning a analogue modeling synth,I would like to mention that in general,you will not find an all-in-one workstation that will provide the best of both worlds & there will always be compromises and even though the M3 does a fair job of this,it's still not the Korg Oasys & it's not an analogue modeling synth.

The Korg Oasys is the ultimately,the most complete,self contained all-in-one recording studio,providing you with all the benefits of virtually all the other keyboards out there,but it's at a price of $8,500

It has a 16 track sequencer,8 track audio recorder,a 10.4" lcd screen,4 synth engines,a vast sound library-as well as flexible compatiblity with sound files of many other brands,an amazing amount of manual controls & a built in cd burner.

If you're on a budget like I am,the best way to get great workstation features,as well as all the user friendly controls,manipulation capabilties & lush warm analogue sounds-you'll have to buy seperate keyboards to achieve this if you want to stay at $3,000 or below.

Again,this is why I mentioned the Korg M3,as this is a decent alternative & the best all-in-one solution I could think of in this price range.

If you don't mind the idea of having two different keyboards,then I would suggest that you consider buying a Roland Fantom for it's recording capabilties & if it turns out that you are not happy with it's sounds,then buying a second keyboard such as the Alesis Ion or a Clavia Nord Lead 2X would be a kick-ass combination that I am sure you would be very happy with(provided that you are able & willing to spend a total of $3,000).

Just some more food for thought & I hope all this has helped you out more.:cool:

Good luck in whatever you decide & do your research!:D

Elwood

Reaction score
Elwood,

I understand everything you said to dada as well as me...I have no quams with it....but i just disagree with your comment about the m3 would be a step up from the yamaha xs series boards...

If you look at the specs of both boards (and i have) its easy to see they are both loaded with "everything" needed to produce top quality sounds....i generalize that statement to avoid getting technical about wave rom and LFO's and all that jazz....I've heard them both side by side (and I'm sure you have too) .........AND THAT IS PRECISLY MY POINT.....what you hear and what i hear are gonna be two different things from the same board. Step up for you....about the same for me....and maybe both are bad to dada's ears....See what I'm gettin at??

You may be absolutley right....it might be the perfect board for Dada....my point was that there are alot of other great sounding boards out there and some of them DONT have the Korg name on them

BTW, your tribute to John Candy was cool

Peace

Keyplayer

Reaction score
seems like i've opened quite a debate!:)

i'd like to really thank both of you, for you have expanded my synth knowledge, and from what i see, the M3 sure looks sweet as sugar.. now the only thing left for me is to find one in a store (i'm from slovenia), what sometimes can be difficult to achieve, an test it out real good!

again, thanks guys!

Reaction score
you'll have to forgive me elwood....didnt mean to come across so harsh....didnt mean it that way....in this other fourum i hang out in, sometimes you have to get a little rowdy to get some of those guys attention...i kinda forgot i wasn't at "that" fourum

ironically enough, the other fourum is the "yamaha" motif fourum.....:eek:

you give alot of good advice here....keep it up

Keyplayer

Reaction score
seems like i've opened quite a debate!:)

i'd like to really thank both of you, for you have expanded my synth knowledge, and from what i see, the M3 sure looks sweet as sugar.. now the only thing left for me is to find one in a store (i'm from slovenia), what sometimes can be difficult to achieve, an test it out real good!

again, thanks guys!

http://www.thomann.de/gb/index.html

One of the best sites I know when it comes to buying instruments, I know that it's usually easier to buy it from the stores, but it's usually cheaper at Thomann, and if you can't find it in the stores, Thomann is your friend :)

Ask a Question