Buying a second keyboard

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I have played keyboard several years ago, but wasn't really interested since then. I recently discovered an application called Synthesia, and want to pick it up again.
I also still own my old keyboard, which is a Roland E-28 Intelligent Keyboard:

e280.jpg

It fits most of my needs to start with, but as I have this keyboard at my parent's house, I'm planning to buy a second keyboard for my apartment. Taking my old keyboard to the apartment isn't easily possible, as it's simply too big to put anywhere without being in the way. I therefore thought about buying a 49-key keyboard, similar to this (it doesn't need any special features except for midi functionality, some instruments and touch-sensetive keys)

axiom49top.jpg

I didn't seem to find a simple keyboard in that size, only midi-controllers with functions I don't need. I therefore hoped for suggestions concering a keyboard that meets the mentioned qualifications. I'm aware that playing with both hands on a keyboard of that size isn't easily possible, but I can at least train both hands seperately and have enough space. Price should be reasonable (max 70$)

While looking around for a keyboard that meets my needs, I came across a bargain for the Casio CTK-6000 keyboard (30€):

casioctk6000.jpg

It seems to have a lot more features than my old model, but is not really small enough.

My questions to the community:

Should I consider replacing my old Roland E-28 with the Casio CTK-6000?
Which 49-key keyboard would you suggest?

Thanks for any help, it is appreciated.

Reaction score
If you really want to learn something - you'll want as much keys as you can get.

If space wasn't such an issue - i'd say you forget about all those and get some kind
of 88key controller... But if these are your options - go for casio, or some level entry PSR yamaha

Reaction score
The range of both Casio's and Yamaha are great but size wise you will not get anything much smaller then the keyboard you already own. Even the 49 keyed keyboards are not much smaller.
Yamaha did make a range of mini keyboards called the PSS range and the higher models sounded not bad. You can pick them up on ebay cheap enough. Look for PSS51 or PSS795. The only drawback is because of the mini keys they don't have touch response.
I would go for full size keys and when you are not using it put it under the bed or in the back of the waredrobe.
Hope this was of help,
Cheers.

Reaction score
The range of both Casio's and Yamaha are great but size wise you will not get anything much smaller then the keyboard you already own. Even the 49 keyed keyboards are not much smaller.
Yamaha did make a range of mini keyboards called the PSS range and the higher models sounded not bad. You can pick them up on ebay cheap enough. Look for PSS51 or PSS795. The only drawback is because of the mini keys they don't have touch response.
I would go for full size keys and when you are not using it put it under the bed or in the back of the waredrobe.
Hope this was of help,
Cheers.

Thank you both for your helpful answers. I guess I will go with the Casio keyboard and just put it in my closet after using.

I also looked for the PSS models, couldn't find anything that really fits my needs (they also don't seem to be that much smaller). For the start, I guess the 61-keys will do, if I really need 88 keys I can still buy one in a few months.

Ask a Question