Calling an experts in the keyboard area

Reaction score
Hi, I have a 13 year old who plays keyboard and we need to upgrade from the pretty basic Casio model we have now so he has room to grow. Any suggestions? I need to go for piano size keys (that's what he use at school), touch sensitive, possibly weighted?

Thanks.
Sally

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Dick. As much as I'd love to buy him something like that it's a little on the pricey side. Any suggestions for something a little cheaper?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Sweetie, 88 weighted, hammer action keys doesn't come any cheaper than $599 unless you are picking up a used one and then you are buying whatever troubles they had with it.

Reaction score
It doesn't need to have 88 keys, it just needs to have piano sized keys. They also don't have to be weighted, but it was on the "it would be nice to have" list.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Actually, if your child is taking "piano" lessons then yes, it DOES need 88 weighted, hammer action keys.

If he's just looking to upgrade from a toy piano with midget keys to something a little better, then I'd suggest browsing the local Walmart and picking up anything they have under $200.

Reaction score
happyrat1, I came on here to get some advice, not be spoken to condescendingly. I'm sorry if my lack of knowledge irritates you.

He take electric piano lessons, not acoustic. Therefore the necessity of weighted keys is not essential.

Reaction score
Yamaha has a very good range (the most from all manufacturers) of 'cheaper' keyboards with full size keys, GOOD sounds including very acceptable piano-sounds and touch sensitive but NOT weighted and 61 keys. A normal keyboard so to speak. Happyrat1 is correct, weighed hammer action keys in a keyboard are a lot more expensive and I would be careful buying second hand. Even most higher midrange keyboards like my PSR950 don't have weighted keys, the have 'organ' type keys.
Happy keyboard hunting.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Well we gave you our opinions but you seem to think you have a better idea what a piano student needs than the "experts" you asked for in this thread.

Sorry if it sounds condescending but your options are :

1) Spend $600

2) Take your chances buying used.,

3) Buy any cheap Casio or Yamaha in the $200 range and you'll have full sized, velocity sensitive keys and your kid will have a load of fun with 400 odd voices to play with.

But he WON'T be learning the piano.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I don't see a price on that page but it would have helped if you'd mentioned in the first place that you are in Australia. Without a doubt there are huge price variations depending on which country you are in.

Anyway, I was not being facetious or condescending earlier. It seems you have managed to find the best deal on your own.

I could only respond to your questions based on what little you told us in this thread earlier.

I have no way of knowing how serious you or your child are about music. You gave us no budget to work with. And you omitted the fact that you are a half a globe away.

I'd say if you found something you like and can afford then enjoy it in good health.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I took a second look. Yes the P-35 is only $549 AUD but it only has 10 preset voices. The PX-150BK has compliment of 18 MIDI voices for a lousy $50 more and is USB MIDI Class Compliant so it can be used as a controller for soft synths as the child advances.

Here's hoping your kid doesn't become too bored too quickly.

In keyboards, like in life, you get what you pay for.

Reaction score
Hi Sally
This may sound a strange question at this stage but what does your son/you want from this. i.e. does he want to be a pianist or does he want to be a keyboard player. As he is taking lessons on an electronic keyboard it might be good to establish because the requirement could well change as to what you may be best with. A pianist will require fully weighted keys. I am a keyboard player and fully weighted keys would be the last thing on my shopping list etc. possibly even prohibitive to buying it. The other thing is do you have a computer with a decent sound system at home because I midi controller could do the trick and save you spending a load of money that you do not have to.
Good luck with your research.
Best regards
Barry

The Y_man

Reaction score
It doesn't need to have 88 keys, it just needs to have piano sized keys. They also don't have to be weighted, but it was on the "it would be nice to have" list.

Get your boy to play on some of these at the shop and see if he likes the "feel" (and sound!) of them

http://www.keyboardcorner.com.au/yamaha-np11/

http://www.keyboardcorner.com.au/yamaha-np31/

http://www.keyboardcorner.com.au/yamaha-npv60/

As per Barry's question above - Digi-Piano's and Arranger Type (i person band) keyboards are different beasts.

If it's an arranger type you are after, then something like

http://www.keyboardcorner.com.au/yamaha-psre433/

Damian on this forum just posted a nice demo of a E433
https://www.keyboardforums.com/threads/la-bouche-be-my-lover-yamaha-psr-e433.24642/

The Y-man

Ask a Question