Can a regular keyboard become a synth?

Reaction score
Hey folks! My band recently called it quits and, while cleaning out our practice space I came across several fairly generic keyboards (a Casio CA110 and a Yamaha MIE-1, among two others of which I can't remember the make/model). I'm looking to possibly start up some sort of a side project, however I'd really love to have a synthesizer, which neither of these two obviously are. Is there anything I can purchase for a generic, cheap keyboard that would make it into a synth? Something I could maybe plug into the keyboard that would then go to the amp that would give me more sound options, maybe a pitch bend and modulation wheel? I know some piano, but I'm fairly new to the whole keyboard/synth side of things. I just wanna be able to make some crazy sounds, like a Moog or something. Cost isn't a factor, but obviously something fairly inexpensive would be ideal. Any ideas? Thanks!

Reaction score
Hello,

I myself have always been a keyboard workstation type of guy & my Korg Triton can make some decent "outer-space" sounds,but for true performance-synth capabilities that allow for versatility with sound manipulation-you have to specifically go for the stand-alone synthesizers-which are called VA-synths(virtual analogue).

These type of synths are software-based analogue modeling synths that replicate the sounds of the old,classic style analogue synths of the 60's 70's & 80's.

I've been looking for this very type of synthesizer myself & I have done an enormous amount of research on them and I've actually discovered a analogue modeling synth that is incredibly inexpensive-while also have incredible sound quality,infinite sound shaping possiblities and the best part about this synth-is that it is so incredibly easy to use,that it's completely idiot-proof!

It's called the Alesis Ion & it goes for $599.00(new).I'm actually getting one myself & I managed to put a down payment on the very last one that Sweetwater.com carries!:D

Not too many retailers carry them,as the availablity is few & far between,but I know that GuitarCenter still carries them & they are available online.

I'm going to gather up some various links for you to check out that contain product overviews & sound demos-of which I will throw up for you in my next posting.

By the way,modifying your existing keyboards to emulate a synthesizer is not an option,but since cost is not really a factor for you-then I am sure you will be very pleased to start from scratch with this amazing synth!

Elwood

Reaction score
Reaction score
I guess you could buy I synth module (rack mounted synth) and use the keyboard you have as a conroller, but only if it has midi capabilities. They usually only make rack mounted synths for high end synths anyways, so its probably not gonna work in your case.

Do what elwood says and buy a cheapish synth to mess around with. Here's a few:
Alesis Ion
Korg MS2000b
Roland SH-201
more options as you get to a higher price range.
It really depends on how much you are willing to spend.

Ask a Question