Can anyone help me understand the difference between patch and performance in Juno DS?

Reaction score
I just watched some videos on youtube and I thought I did, but I'm finding it a little confusing. Patches are single sounds, right? Performances are a bunch of sounds layered (with different volumes, etc) are patches editable? If so, how's it done? Keep in mind that I'm a newbie in this great instrument.
Thank in advance
20190305_174907.jpg

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I have no personal experience with the JUNO-DS, so my reply is based on information from the Owner's Manual, plus general concepts common to electronic keyboards. This is the "short and sweet" reply. I can post an "OMG, TLDR" reply later if you want. ;)

Patches are single sounds, right?

That's basically right, but it's a simplification. Tones are single sounds, and patches are composed of one to four tones.

Performances are a bunch of sounds layered (with different volumes, etc)

That's not quite right. Performances are a bunch of sounds which can be split, layered, or (I think) used by external controllers.

The key to all of this is "part." You could say that a part is a MIDI channel. That's not technically correct, but it's close enough that it might help you understand. Essentially, a patch defines how the sound for a single part (or MIDI channel) is set up, and a performance defines how the sounds for all 16 parts (or MIDI channels) are set up.

are patches editable? If so, how's it done?

Yes, you can edit patches. The Owner's Manual doesn't really explain how to do this; instead, it refers you to the Parameter Guide (which I haven't looked at yet).

Reaction score
From a playing/performing standpoint, it's simply this:

Patches are single sounds.
Performances are combinations of up to 16 Patches, split and/or layered any way you want.

Patches can be edited via the on-board Menu functions, but it is easier to use the free downloadable Tone Manager software (Mac or Windows).

SGG is right that Patches are made up of Tones, but for playing/performance purposes, that information is not important. It's helpful to know that for editing, though. (Note to SSG: DS Tones are the equivalent of Elements on your Yamaha MX. They are the building blocks of the sounds, but they are not something you deal with on a day-to-day basis, or pretty much ever, unless you get into deep editing.)

Reaction score
To add to the previous there can be a little more to a Performance.

I know it is a different make but with a Korg a Patch can be called a Program and its voicing for a single instrument.

A Combination is a number of layered Patches.

A Performance is a Combination that has Fx, Eq and adjustments to tonal elements to produce a specific sound that is not there in the donor Combination.

Hence a Combination can the tweaked in a vast number of ways to produce a whole gamut of different sounding Performances.

On my Korg Kross 2 I have a Combination that is the donor for a few of the Glenn Miller songs I play and each Performance is edited specifically for a given Song, similar customised Performances are on my other Arranger keyboard.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
One more thing with Performances on the Juno DS.

They also are associated with a specified rhythm and accompaniment that the user can set up in the step sequencer.

They also contain, as previously stated, multiple layers and or splits of patches as well as the associated FX chains which are configured to activate when selected.

Gary ;)

Ask a Question