Can anyone help?

Reaction score
Hi All.
i have joined your forum to try and get some help. I myself do not have the required magical skills to play anything as cool as a keyboard. Alas I am a lowly bass player. However, my band does allow me to be the guy who knows about getting the sounds we make to come out the speakers. This has been fairly easy to do but now our vocalist has bought a Roland AX Synth. Thats cool. sounds real cool thru the PA and people love our 80s look. But now we need some different sounds, as in different instrument sounds. specifically bagpipes. I may be wrong but I have a feeling you can't add voices to the instrument itself but need to connect to another device. Can anyone advise me on what is required or recommended?

Eternally grateful
BJ.

Reaction score
Cool. But can these sounds be loaded into the keyboard or do I need to connect to an external device to perform?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Additional sounds are available.

There you will also find the software for Android and iOS to load and unload these sounds.

Read the README files in each archive to learn how to do this.

Also, this may not be what you meant, but it is possible to hook up the AX as a MIDI controller and run soft synths from a tablet or computer.

This opens up a whole universe of additional sounds your keyboardist can play on this device.

This also requires a steeper learning curve and more work that simply loading and unloading patches.

Gary ;)

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums!

I don't think you can load new sounds, but you might be able to combine or edit the included sounds to get something resembling bagpipes.

I see something called "BagShakuLead," which is tone 32 under the "Synth Lead 1" category. I don't know what it sounds like, but its name reminds me of a mashup of "Bagpipes" and "Shakuhachi."

If you can't find anything usable among the included tones, you can use the AX-Synth as a MIDI controller, and you should be able to find a good bagpipes plugin for computer, laptop, or tablet.

EDIT-- I just saw Gary's post. I haven't looked at the software, but if it lets you load new tones then that would be ideal. I had assumed that it's just for editing the existing sounds. But surely Roland has at least one Bagpipes tone among their SuperNATURAL or GS soundsets.

Reaction score
yeah. Thanks for replies guys. I went to the website on mylaptop and clicked on download. it installed it on my phone, which I can't connect to the keyboard. I have installed a MIDI editor on the laptop but guess I need the keyboard here to play with.
I'm guessing to get decent sounds I will have to buy expensive software? Years ago I did play a little bit with Virtual Sound Canvas but not enough to get familiar with it. I will play and come back if I have any questions.

Reaction score
BJ, I must be the only one here who thinks your vocalist/keys player should own this problem and let you get back to the world of cool bass grooves and live sound mixing.

Reaction score
Additional sounds are available.
As far as I can see, there are no new sounds available for the AX-Synth there. Those two URLs you linked to are for the AX-Edge. One restores its factory presets, and the other provides a recreation of some of the sounds from the earlier AX-Synth in question.

AFAIK, there are no new sounds available to load into the AX-Synth, but you can edit the sounds that are in it using the “AX-Synth Editor” (on Mac or Windows). Though as alluded to, you can use it as a MIDI controller to trigger sounds that reside on a Mac, Windows, or iOS device.

Last edited:

Ask a Question