Can? Create wurlitzer sound on Casio CTK-6200

Reaction score
Hi - I'm new to this and bought a second hand keyboard to learn.
I adore the sound of a wurlitzer with the trembling notes and I wonder what I need to do - ie midi software (Preferably Free - I am a beginner) to create this sound.
I spent hours listening to the Blackpool Wurlitzer and absolutely want to get this sound.
I am clueless about musical terms and would appreciate any pointers how to get this sound.
Thank you
Terry

Reaction score
Welcome.

I have spent many hours in the Tower Ballroom dancing with my Wife to that very instrument.

To replicate the sound on what is a beginner keyboard with the onboard instrument sounds is probably not possible, I am presuming that you have worked through what is available onboard your CTX.

The nearest and least costly option is to connect up to an iPad and run the Casio as a keyboard controller using the sound functions of an App.

The Korg Module Pro App and Galileo 2 will give passible organ tones for not much cash although there are better more realistic Apps, they do cost vastly more.

Reaction score
Casio CTK 7000 series has a much better sound engine than the 6000 series. And if editing the sound perimeters on the Casio, you can get a great sounding piano.

Reaction score
Not familiar with this keyboard but according to the Casio website it has 700 tones. I would be genuinely shocked if there wasn’t at least one Wurli in there - probably half a dozen or so more likely.

Search under any sounds called EP or Reed EP. You should find what you’re after.

Reaction score
The Wurlitzer installed in Blackpool Tower Ballroom is a theatre organ.

92297A9A-CF6A-4B41-9B29-40CED4902FCB.jpeg

On the Casio CT X5000 that I briefly had there was no tone even remotely like it.

Reaction score
Aha! Thanks for correcting me Biggles. "Blackpool Wurlitzer" sounds like a creature from a 1950's sci-fi horror.

I had a listen to a few of these on YouTube and stand by my original comments. A keyboard with 700 tones and editing capability (which the CTK-6200 has) should be able to approximate some of those sounds. I could certainly get something close-ish with mine given enough time and motivation. Start with what's in your "organ" bank and play around from there. Don't forget to liberally splash on tremolo and reverb to taste to achieve true theatre organ cheesiness!

Depending on the sound engine of your machine you won't get it 100% right but everything is a bit of a compromise with a digital keyboard.

If you want it more or less exact you'd be looking at MIDI and a VST. No doubt there are multiple theatre organ ones out there on the market.

What you won't achieve no matter what you do is the presence these machines have in the flesh. But I could say the same for Hammond organs and grand pianos.

Reaction score
Aha! Thanks for correcting me Biggles. "Blackpool Wurlitzer" sounds like a creature from a 1950's sci-fi horror.

I had a listen to a few of these on YouTube and stand by my original comments. A keyboard with 700 tones and editing capability (which the CTK-6200 has) should be able to approximate some of those sounds. I could certainly get something close-ish with mine given enough time and motivation. Start with what's in your "organ" bank and play around from there. Don't forget to liberally splash on tremolo and reverb to taste to achieve true theatre organ cheesiness!

Depending on the sound engine of your machine you won't get it 100% right but everything is a bit of a compromise with a digital keyboard.

If you want it more or less exact you'd be looking at MIDI and a VST. No doubt there are multiple theatre organ ones out there on the market.

What you won't achieve no matter what you do is the presence these machines have in the flesh. But I could say the same for Hammond organs and grand pianos.
It gets better Paul.

When it is being played its not so much you hear it more you feel it, literally the earth moves.

Or to be more precise the dance floor moves, its floating, an amazing piece of Victorian building.

When it is being played for the first time in the set you can feel and hear it but cannot see it, then in true dramatic style the organist and console rises out of the sub-floor to stage level.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
It gets better Paul.

When it is being played its not so much you hear it more you feel it, literally the earth moves.

Or to be more precise the dance floor moves, its floating, an amazing piece of Victorian building.

When it is being played for the first time in the set you can feel and hear it but cannot see it, then in true dramatic style the organist and console rises out of the sub-floor to stage level.

Victorian Dolby THX? :D :D :D

(The gentlefolk are listening...;) )

Gary ;)

Reaction score
The Wurlitzer installed in Blackpool Tower Ballroom is a theatre organ.

View attachment 2583

On the Casio CT X5000 that I briefly had there was no tone even remotely like it.
Casio CTX 5000 - sorry to say, but Casio really messed up with this sound engine. I also owned one briefly, and sent it back. Terrible compared to the previous CTK-7200. I don't know why Casio went south on their sound technology :/

Reaction score
I see on the Casio CTK 6200 that you can create user tones (somehow)
It looks like you can have several instruments combined with different attack and delay parameters which theoretically should be able to emulate a complex organ.
The thing is that the user manual does not explain how this is achieved.
I tried and got as far as set A and Set B but no further.

Any ideas folks?

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Ideas

Only what I suggested prior, connect your iPad or iPhone and use an App.

Hammond B 3X is reviewed as the best Organ app

Reaction score
As the title says he wants to re create the Blackpool wurlitzer sound and the only way to achieve this is in my opinion is to buy Hauptwerk and run one of the sample sets
I'm a keen enthusiast of the Wurlitzer in Blackpool myself
It comes as a very costly expense let me tell you that but if you want anything close to it take a look a the spec of the paramount 450 , it iitteraly has every stop tab that the tower organ has and you can achieve the sound you're wanting
If you're not a purist (like myself)
You can run the free paramount 3/10 wurlitzer in Hauptwerk which has some very good sounds for tower like sounds
I took a look at the specification of the Wurlitzer at the tower and then downloaded the spec of the paramount 4/50
Remember the Tower wurlitzer isn't huge as in ranks and is only a 14 rank Wurlitzer so using a 50 rank Wurlitzer, you'll have all the stops needed to re create that sound

Forget ipads , B3 x , galleleo or anything else , its nothing like the tower.

Ask a Question