Can I use 2 FC7 Expression Pedals with my S90XS Yamaha keyboard?

Reaction score
I have used one FC7 Expression pedal to adjust the volume of a subset of the (4) parts (layers) in my Performance during gigs for quite awhile now. What I typically do is bring in some big strings behind my piano layer. The FC7 is set to only control the big strings, and doesn't affect the piano. Very recently, I received a 2nd FC7 which I assumed, that since there are two Foot Controller ports on my S90XS, that I could then control two subsets of layers. This would then, in theory, allow me to assign my piano layer to one pedal (for volume control), and the big strings to the other (again, for volume control). This would allow me to turn the piano up during a break and down for fill-ins behind the vocalist.

However, I'm having trouble with creating that configuration. Under EDIT -> Part [1] -> Rcv Sw, I have enabled Foot Controller 1, and disabled Foot Controller 2. For the other 3 parts, I have done the opposite: disabled FC 1, and enabled FC 2. I think most of the problem comes under UTILITY (global settings). There, under Controller, I have to set both FC 1 and FC 2 to "11" (what do these numbers mean anyway?). This creates the predicament as both pedals then control all of the layers.

Is there a way to configure my performance so that I can assign FC 1 to control the volume of Part [1] and FC 2 to control the volume of Parts [2], [3], and [4]?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
No problem. We tend to deal with more generic keyboard issues in here, like MIDI hookups and various keyboard issues, but we're a lot less brand specific here than the other boards I mentioned.

The motifator bunch can be a bit abrupt though if your keyboard is not an actual motif.

You'll probably find your answers on psrtutorial.com but feel free to come back here with other musical questions and just to hang out :)

Gary

Reaction score
The "11" you mentioned above in your post is continuous controller #11 which is "expression". Try assigning one of the pedals to cc#7 (volume) and the other to #11 in the global settings area. Then assign the strings to respond to cc#11 (expression pedal) and the piano to cc#7. Be sure that the strings are not assigned to respond to volume and that the piano is not assigned to respond to expression.

Here is a list of standard midi controller numbers.

http://www.nortonmusic.com/midi_cc.html

Reaction score
@delaware dave: Thank you so much! Your suggestion worked perfectly and completely solved my mystery. I knew there had to be more to the story, and you explained it. Thank you!

I believe you also solved another problem I was trying to figure out as well (assignable function buttons).

Ask a Question