Can I use sounds from one keyboard on two keyboards at once?

Reaction score
I am a pianist slowing becoming a keyboarder. I have a Yamaha S90-ES and 90's Roland Synth. I would like to play sounds from the S90 on both at the same time. Is this possible and if so how? Thanks.

Reaction score
Which 90s Roland synth? If it has a midi out then connect them via a midi cable. OUT from Roland to IN on S90.

Buy the midi cable in a music shop with a keyboard department and get them to show you what to do.

Good luck.

Reaction score
Yes...and no. You can use the Roland as a Midi controller (if it has MIDI connections...which it probably does). What you cannot do is load 2 "Voices" or 2 "Performances" at once. Since you are using the S90 (great keyboard btw) as the primary sound engine for both keyboards...this would force you to be in "Performance" mode using the Roland keyboard on a different MIDI Channel. Also note, that U will need to set up special patches (custom performances) so that you are using the correct sounds on the correct MIDI channels. So for example...you might want to set up a piano and strings on MIDI channel 1 and put an organ or a synth on MIDI channel 2. Good luck with that...

Reaction score
On the Yamaha side of things, you would indeed have to design entirely new presets ("performances") which assign different sounds ("layers") to the internal keyboard and external keyboard via MIDI channel. Check the instructions of the Yamaha to make sure that this is possible.

If so, you just need to get an external MIDI controller (the Roland may work) and create some new performance presets to take advantage of it.

Ask a Question