Can PC1x Arrange Programs by Song?

ctc

Reaction score
The keyboard player in our band has a PC1X but he is not technically oriented and has asked me to help him more easily select his programs without pausing his play while we are performing. I can show him how to do this with a midi foot controller, but thought it might be prudent to ask if the PC1X has the ability to organize programs by song so that it is easy to go from an intro sound, to a verse sound, to a chorus sound, to a lead sound, etc. without meni diving or buying a midi foot controller. Thanks.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Here's an idea....

Why not download the manual and find out instead of asking us to do it for you?

Gary ;)

ctc

Reaction score
Gary. I didn't ask you to do anything beyond sharing a simple yes or no about knowledge that you may already have. I downloaded the manual and have spent hours reading through much of it and couldn't find an answer. It's possible that feature doesn't exist. So I thought I'd ask rather than spend more hours reading and re-reading (as these things usually go). :)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Well. On My PC3K there are setups and QA Buttons that can be assigned to call up programs on the fly.

On most professional gear there usually are some sort of Favorites/Performances/Setups/Registrations, whatever the manufacturer chooses to call them.

If you see anything in the manual that resembles any of those terms then you will have found what you are looking for.

A PC1x is Reeeeealllly old gear, but it should still have some sort of Quick Access Bank, or similar feature.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
I just got my PC1x and the layout is fairly unintuitive and the manual is written as if they don't have a proofreader but it's better than a lot of KORG literature. It's one of those situations where you have to basically memorize the manual before it makes sense. Why don't the buttons have their own LEDs instead of having one that changing colors to indicate a function printed elsewhere? it's dumb. Maybe they thought color changing looked cooler but that's not what a Kurz is supposed to be so it just comes off as bad design.

I'm going to take a look as I would like to know the answer as well.

Reaction score
There are two manuals online One is for the pc1 and the pc2 as well as the pc1x, and then theres the one specifically for the pc1x.

Reaction score
the only difference between the pc1 and the Pc1x is the number of keys, 'x' is 88 keys. i dont know if the pc1 has QA mode or not and i'm not going to download the manual to find out. if it does then you can create a qa bank for each song and put the instruments into the qa bank needed for each song. call up the bank and all the instruments for the song would be staring you in the face. this is how i run the PC3, if it werent for qa mode i probably would need to rethink execution. with qa mode it is a piece of cake.

Reaction score
I've never heard of "QA" mode. QA means nothing to me because I dont have a PC3 and the question is about the PC1X which I do have. Which is why I actually did download the manual and read it which is important because you really need to know what you are talking about in order to help. If you don't have any information that is in any way helpful then just don't post. Ininformed opinions like"your keyboard is really really old" are hardly ever helpful especially when the question isn't "What do clueless millenials think of my keyboard" but more along the lines of "how can my keyboard player group setups to make it more useable during a performance" which is something the manual deals with. Which is what you have for some reason absolutely refused to help with and then posted a message describing that refusal in a public forum. so why are you here?
You can use a MIDI controller with the PC1X.

Reaction score
The PC1X, like many performance controllers uses thge terms Programs and Setups instead of patches and presets because it's not a synth which makes the manual a hard read for the uninformed but to get what you want you are going to have to read it real good. Theres a section on editing setups and other info in the manual about using MIDI controllers. You just have to read it over a few times and become familiar as it is a bit disconnected but it does give you hints and tell you you should already be familiar with blah blah blah in which case you just have to go read that section anyhow.
The setups section describes how to setup a dual switch pedal in which one pedal is a sustain and the other is programmable. Esentially if you want to do an intro with piano, go to strings etc. for the verse and chorus and a synth or whatever for the solo you set up these three SETUPS and save them in the user bank, the first 127 of which are already in use and theres three others which are in use by the keyboard like a blank setup (sort of like an initial patch) then one with no voice setup but basic controller assignments and anothr I dont remember.
ANY how then you have to assign the pedal to SETUP INCREMENT which is apparently ALL the way down at the bottom of the menu then you can use the pedal to skip through the setups but only in one direction. this seems pretty nutty to me.
A much easier way I think would be to get a MIDI foot controller like a guitarist would use then make and save your setups patches or whatnot to whatever slot then you can assign the MIDI pedals to go directly to that specific sound.
The Manual literally has a single line that refers to the fact that you can do this, right under the paragraph of explanation about the previous terrible method.
The PC1X has a built in app called MIDIscope which will read out any midi activity on the display, so you can just get your foot controller, plug it in and read off what CC commands result from hitting the foot switches. Then program those eight or so commands to switch the keyboard to setups you've saved in the 130 or so user slots and there you go. you gotta read the manual for all the menus as there are a lot.
a behringer foot controller has 12 foot swithes and two expression pedals any of which can be assigned to anything on the pc1X and you can get one for about a hundred bucks. I'm going to build one out of a korg nanokontrol I bought for 7 bucks.
Tell your keyboardist to try controlling the arpeggiator with key pressure, its great fun.

Reaction score
Hi there!

I've never had a PA1, I have PA3. It has a feature "Performance". That should be an answer to this thread! There's a video instruction for Korg PA 300
If there's such a function in PA1 it should be similar.

Regards

Mayo

Reaction score
what does your korg solution have to do with his Kurzweil?
Hi there!

I've never had a PA1, I have PA3. It has a feature "Performance". That should be an answer to this thread! There's a video instruction for Korg PA 300
If there's such a function in PA1 it should be similar.

Regards

Mayo
"keyboard player in our band has a PC1X but he is not technically oriented"
From what I've seen most Performance Controllers use the nomenclature of Performance, Programs and Setups. Voices patches and presets don't really describe what is going on when you throw plits, layers and ZONES into the mix. ESPECIALLY with the PC1X as it is fairly complex. If you have a PC1X and you are not "technically oriented" you may have the wrong instrument and bitten off more than you can chew. If you want to switch from patch to patch and don't know how to program a MIDI foot controller, you are pretty much screwed until you learn how. Setting up MIDI is easier than deep programming the PC1X.
Behringers MIDI footswitch is the cheapest, has 12 footswitches and two pedals. Programmable footswitch to jump directly to any setup out of 127 user patches, but you still have to do some menu diving to set the CC commands up. I guess the lesson is if you buy a keyboard with a 5-pin DIN you should expect to learn some MIDI. There's no magical footswitch that coincidentally does exactly what you want or are used to. Bearing in mind that four switches and four knobs on the panel are fully assignable as well as most of the functions in the software and all the MIDI input you can handle are fully programmable. They are just not going to hold your hand because this is pro-level equipment and you are expected to have experience of a sort. The manual tells you everything you need to know.

The manual, however does not mention songs or song-mode. that kind of grouping is up to you I guess.

You know I once watched a youtube video called "how to make a song in audacity" and step 1 was "download a background song"

Reaction score
yeah that's the other end of the spectrum. I did a "proof of concept" and hooked up a beat-up Korg Nanokontrol to the Kurz, put in a few setups at slots 130 through 138, assigned the incoming Midi signals to "go to setup" etc. then edited those slots with generic parameters. no 130-Stereo Grand for an intro then 131some string and 132-e piano for pads then a split synth bass/organ and then synth lead yada yada. It works fine but I abandoned the footpedal project after realizing that using the nano requires USB into PC into usb-midi cable so it would be a lot of work building the box resulting in the use of a laptop or a headless raspberryPI at least to enable it. that's what makes it worth paying over a hundred bucks for a Midi footpedal that just spits out Midi all day with no setup. I think I'll get me a behringer FCB1010 and see how useful that is.

Reaction score
Is this one of those things where a geek makes an incomprehensible cryptic reference to bolster his self esteem by convincing himself he's some kind of "insider"?

You should probably not post in this thread unless you have something of value to submit. You can spout random thoughts over on facebook. It looks as if you know how to find facebook as you have two links there under your "compensating for something" brag list which I couldn't help but notice doesn't include a PC1X. Also you seem to have an aversion to reading and it shows when you post apocyphal info so hey folks The main difference between the PC1 and PC1X isn't just the number of keys but the fact that the PC1 has Synth Action keys which is Kurzweils way of saying unweighted non-hammer action keys. There are a few other details but the main reason I looked for a PC1X instaed of the older PC1 was the key action. To be honest I would rather have 61 like the PC1 AKA PC16, but I have enough organs with heavy keys and expensive keyboards and MIDI controllers with abysmal plastic clackety garbage keybeds to last a lifetime. I wish I could get this keybed and sound engine in a smaller form factor but it didnt happen that way and pricewise I can spend two grand on a lot more interesting stuff. Nothing is perfect I guess. I prefer smaller portable gear but I figured It doesn't matter how big and heavy this monster is if I never move it so It is a permanent fixture for practice drills and controller for my 20 or so mini synths.
aside, I have a Behringer FCB 1010 MIDI foot controller on order and it looks highly configureable so as soon as I have it in I can see if it fits the profile of making the PC1X do "song mode"

Ask a Question