Can Synthesizer such Roland Juno DS76, load virtual instruments sound such NI, Scarbee, keyscape, etc...

Reaction score
Hi All,

This is going to be complicated and most likely the straight direct answer is "no" you can't.

First off Merry Christmas and Happy new year to all.

Can Roland Juno or similar synthesizer somehow load virtual instruments such NI, Scarbee, Keyscape, and many other similar virtual instruments.

I know that Roland Juno can access Roland Library and from there you can download free "sounds" but I wonder for the quality.

I am pro keyboard player and I play the Fender Rhodes sound MK I on stage and on my recording studio and I am looking for the best and most accurate sound reproduction and lately I have to admit technology has made miracles where keyscape sounds nearly the real thing if not the same, actually some expert can't recognize the difference when the instrument is played on stage live.

I am tired to carry equipment, laptops, and all that + plus my Korg keyboard to play and reproduce that sound.

So alternately i was looking for a synthesizer that can load such professional sounds via usb and play them directly from that synth keyboard, is that possible?

If not, surely not, can somebody tell me if those Roland Sound free downlaod are any good to the real Fender Rhodes? I know they do have EP collection

Thanks

Reaction score
Err, I think that the answer is a yes, and no and a but.

Keyboards can load additional sounds BUT only if they are in the correct format for the keyboard concerned AND if there is sufficient memory available.

If you have not tried software version of a Rhodes have a look https://www.arturia.com/products/analog-classics/stage-73-v/overview

So maybe the solution is an Macbook with software and Main Stage.

Reaction score
Err, I think that the answer is a yes, and no and a but.

Keyboards can load additional sounds BUT only if they are in the correct format for the keyboard concerned AND if there is sufficient memory available.

If you have not tried software version of a Rhodes have a look https://www.arturia.com/products/analog-classics/stage-73-v/overview

So maybe the solution is an Macbook with software and Main Stage.

Thanks I don't want to carry a macbook I have already this solution i also use a laptop and I have tried Arturia as well, no bad I must say.

I want one synthesizer solution that can load sounds from any of the above including Arturia, or some other company. In my opinion Specsatronic keyscape is the best or one of the best and I would say Arturia comes right after.

I have already Arturia and Keyscape that uses different variation.

So what would be a synthesizer such Roland Juno DS 88, also Yamaha MX88 be able to use Arturia sounds or any of the virtual instrument available on the market, by loading them via USB, like this I can carry with me only the synthesizer and not the laptop or macbook, also I had issues with laptop freezing and sometime also on macbook as well...

Thanks

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
The MX synths can't load new waveforms or sound samples, so you can rule out the MX88.

I don't think I've ever heard of a synth that actually lets you install third-party programs onboard. Synth operating systems are dedicated to running the synth, not running third-party programs. Plus, the screen displays and panel controls are geared toward the synths, and would probably not be suitable for displaying a third-party program's screens and letting you control the program's functions.

On the other hand, if a synth lets you load new waveforms or sound samples-- and many digital synths do-- then you should be able to use third-party software on your computer to sample the sounds of your favorite soft synths, save them in the format that your synth uses, and load them into your synth. However, the synth probably wouldn't be able to actively manipulate the sounds in all the same ways that the original soft synth can.

Reaction score
The MX synths can't load new waveforms or sound samples, so you can rule out the MX88.

I don't think I've ever heard of a synth that actually lets you install third-party programs onboard. Synth operating systems are dedicated to running the synth, not running third-party programs. Plus, the screen displays and panel controls are geared toward the synths, and would probably not be suitable for displaying a third-party program's screens and letting you control the program's functions.

On the other hand, if a synth lets you load new waveforms or sound samples-- and many digital synths do-- then you should be able to use third-party software on your computer to sample the sounds of your favorite soft synths, save them in the format that your synth uses, and load them into your synth. However, the synth probably wouldn't be able to actively manipulate the sounds in all the same ways that the original soft synth can.

Good morning

Thanks so let's make it simple.

Does Roland DS 76 or 88 version offers a good fender rhodes as good as the one from Arturia or similar virtual instruments such keyscape, or NI?

From what I could see on Roland library the EP sound vintage have nothing to do with Fender Rhodes suitcase sound and is also badly sampled in my opinion. If not from the roland sound library how or where can I find a compatible loadable fender rhodes sound that sounds near the real thing, for the DS88?

Thanks

Reaction score
Can Roland Juno or similar synthesizer somehow load virtual instruments such NI, Scarbee, Keyscape, and many other similar virtual instruments.
The ones you list (NI, Scarbee, Keyscape) are all computer-based VSTs. They won't run on anything else. Some people sample these sounds into other formats which can be loaded directly into some keyboards. It takes some effort and it won't be exactly the same, but it can work pretty well, depending on the sound and your skill level. There are programs like SampleRobot to make it easier. You could sample the instruments you're talking about, save them in an appropriate format, and you would be able to load them into Juno DS... but Juno DS only has something like 55 mb of sample memory, and some of the sounds you're talking about may be gigabytes in size, so don't expect too much out of this process.

There are other boards which allow you to load in much larger sample sets, a gigabyte or more. Check the Yamaha MODX/Montage, Kurzweil PC4/Forte, Korg Kronos, and the Dexibells. (MODX is closest in price to the Juno DS, though still pricier.) Of course, these boards also have their own EP sounds built in (I think the ones from Kurzweil and Korg are better than those from Roland, Yamaha, and Dexibell, but that's in the ear of the beholder). There are also professional expansion libraries for some of these instruments. For example Purgatory Creek makes some high quality EPs for NI Kontakt, and while (as I said) you can't load NI Kontakt libraries into keyboards, Purgatory Creek also makes versions of these same sounds that you can load directly into Kronos, Forte (which might work in PC4 also?), and MODX/Montage. They won't have all the finesse of the NI version, but being professionally prepared from the original sample set, they will get you closer than anything you could do yourself from SampleRobot. Check them out at https://www.purgatorycreek.com/

I know that Roland Juno can access Roland Library and from there you can download free "sounds" but I wonder for the quality...can somebody tell me if those Roland Sound free downlaod are any good to the real Fender Rhodes? I know they do have EP collection
Again, ear of the beholder. Here's a demo:
https://soundcloud.com/rolandcom%2Fsets%2Fsrx-12-classic-eps
You can also check youtube for demos of SRX-12 (that's the expansion board the EPs originally came from).

I don't want to carry a macbook I have already this solution
You could also look into using an iOS device (iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch) which has many software instruments available (and can also load custom sample sets, with the appropriate app). I think the form factor makes it easier to gig with than a laptop. Scarbee makes a scaled down version of their Rhodes, it's an add-on for the Korg Module app, and there are other nice EP apps as well like NeoSoul Keys (that one is iPad only). Here's a demo of Scarbee for Korg Module on iPad:

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
The only thing currently on the market that can load and run computer VSTs is this thing.

Otherwise you'd need a keyboard that has a crap ton of sampler memory and custom samples to go with it.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Ah, I hadn't seen that one. Kind of an updated Receptor. I also remembered another discontinued model, the V-Machine from SM Pro Audio, but it was relatively low capability and therefore more limited in which VSTs it could run.

Reaction score
The only thing currently on the market that can load and run computer VSTs is this thing.

Otherwise you'd need a keyboard that has a crap ton of sampler memory and custom samples to go with it.

Gary ;)

I learn something new every day.

What would be the benefit of this Seelake system over a laptop and a vst software solution?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I was looking for some of the VST monsters from Music Computing but those have apparently been discontinued. I did however, have the Seelake still in my bookmarks.

4000 Euros give or take for the fully tricked out top of the line model.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I learn something new every day.

What would be the benefit of this Seelake system over a laptop and a vst software solution?

Basically it's a stable, optimized collection of hardware that's intended to run VSTs in a rack mount format with all the interfaces a gigging musician would need.

The most obvious difference to a high end laptop would be connectivity and the compatibility of all the kludged addons you'd have to install on a laptop to get the same degree of connectivity.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
The ones you list (NI, Scarbee, Keyscape) are all computer-based VSTs. They won't run on anything else. Some people sample these sounds into other formats which can be loaded directly into some keyboards. It takes some effort and it won't be exactly the same, but it can work pretty well, depending on the sound and your skill level. There are programs like SampleRobot to make it easier. You could sample the instruments you're talking about, save them in an appropriate format, and you would be able to load them into Juno DS... but Juno DS only has something like 55 mb of sample memory, and some of the sounds you're talking about may be gigabytes in size, so don't expect too much out of this process.

There are other boards which allow you to load in much larger sample sets, a gigabyte or more. Check the Yamaha MODX/Montage, Kurzweil PC4/Forte, Korg Kronos, and the Dexibells. (MODX is closest in price to the Juno DS, though still pricier.) Of course, these boards also have their own EP sounds built in (I think the ones from Kurzweil and Korg are better than those from Roland, Yamaha, and Dexibell, but that's in the ear of the beholder). There are also professional expansion libraries for some of these instruments. For example Purgatory Creek makes some high quality EPs for NI Kontakt, and while (as I said) you can't load NI Kontakt libraries into keyboards, Purgatory Creek also makes versions of these same sounds that you can load directly into Kronos, Forte (which might work in PC4 also?), and MODX/Montage. They won't have all the finesse of the NI version, but being professionally prepared from the original sample set, they will get you closer than anything you could do yourself from SampleRobot. Check them out at https://www.purgatorycreek.com/

You can also check youtube for demos of SRX-12 (that's the expansion board the EPs originally came from).

You could also look into using an iOS device (iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch) which has many software instruments available (and can also load custom sample sets, with the appropriate app). I think the form factor makes it easier to gig with than a laptop. Scarbee makes a scaled down version of their Rhodes, it's an add-on for the Korg Module app, and there are other nice EP apps as well like NeoSoul Keys (that one is iPad only). Here's a demo of Scarbee for Korg Module on iPad:

Thanks this is very detailed info.

Now if I go for the Yamaha Modx 7 which is affordable can this load any of those EP tine sounds on this site that you posted earlier?

I don't understand much of those, I am musician that is moving lately to some different directions and creating my own recording studio

Reaction score
Reaction score

I read this forum previous messages and one thing I didn't understand is:

SRX-12 is an expansion card that can be used with Roland synthesizers?

Will the Roland Juno DS 76 or 88 support this expansion card or how that is used?

Can you clarify that maybe? If I got to the website it says "see below" but nothing is dispalyed about what is it or what is not compatible, and it seems it is discontinued:

All SRX-series expansion boards, including the SRX-12, are compatible with the following:

Reaction score
SRX-12 is an expansion card that can be used with Roland synthesizers?
It was a $200-$300 expansion card that could be used on numerous Rolands. Although you can't physically put that card in the DS, the free EXP-05 EP collection you can download from the Axial web site is essentially the same thing as the old SRX-12. All the DS Axial downloads that start with EXP are derived from what used to be SRX cards.

Reaction score
It was a $200-$300 expansion card that could be used on numerous Rolands. Although you can't physically put that card in the DS, the free EXP-05 EP collection you can download from the Axial web site is essentially the same thing as the old SRX-12. All the DS Axial downloads that start with EXP are derived from what used to be SRX cards.

So if the sounds are the same as the source of that expansion card, it means that using the downloadable sounds from DS Axial searching for EXP, I cal load them onto the Roland DS 76 or 88 version?

Thanks

Reaction score

The reasons I am asking is because I already looked and I can only see 3 EP sound on the EXP section,

Reaction score

And in addition there are 3 sounds only under the EXP electric piano only one sound is EP with phaser, which is not what I need, I guess I am missing something here.

Reaction score
That page has just three samples (one each of a Rhodes, a Wurli, a clav), but the Soundcloud demo I linked to earlier in this thread has a dozen. And as I mentioned, you can find more demos on youtube as well. Google found me a list of 50 patches in that expansion, check the thread at https://ep-forum.com/smf/index.php?topic=1180.30

Keep in mind that the SRX expansions were only 64 mb... that's more than many boards allocate to their EP/clav sounds, but is not nearly as much as some of the other options talked about earlier in this thread. Size isn't everything... but it helps.

Reaction score
That page has just three samples (one each of a Rhodes, a Wurli, a clav), but the Soundcloud demo I linked to earlier in this thread has a dozen. And as I mentioned, you can find more demos on youtube as well. Google found me a list of 50 patches in that expansion, check the thread at https://ep-forum.com/smf/index.php?topic=1180.30

Keep in mind that the SRX expansions were only 64 mb... that's more than many boards allocate to their EP/clav sounds, but is not nearly as much as some of the other options talked about earlier in this thread. Size isn't everything... but it helps.

Thanks ok pardon me if I don't fully understand. :) therefore soundcloud has dozen , does it means I can download them put it on DS 88 and play?

Ask a Question