Can we connect roland FA-06 to USB type Midi controller keyboard

Reaction score
Hello everyone.
So basically i am planning to buy Roland FA-06 , and since its a huge investment for me , i really wanna use it flexibly.
So since FA-06 is just 61 keys and i want to use few more keys, i am planning to use my M-Audio Oxygen-61(it doesn't have its own sound).
I have already searched in a lot of places, but didnt find any 'usb to usb type or USB to midi type keyboard connection' video or thread

I just wanna know is connecting Fa-06 to oxygen-61 possible through USB MIDI ?
if not , what can be the alternatives ? (do we have a device that will make a master slave connection or something like that.)
I apologize for my English ,if anywhere i went wrong.
Awaiting for a reply

Reaction score
Welcome.

I cannot be specific with the FA and O-61.

As setup I recent saw had the controller connected directly MIDI to MIDI which in this case was a Korg PA4X and they had assigned the controller to provide the full range.

In the store there was another 88 key controller connected up again via MIDI to MIDI to a different 61 key Korg.

I did not get chance to check out either setup.

I am assuming that you want to be able to assign the M Audio to cover a range of keys that the FA06 does not have, I am unsure if it is possible.

BTW good choice of keyboard, I am considering buying the FA 88.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
You cannot directly connect two keyboards via USB-MIDI unless one of the keyboards has built-in USB host ability and is programmed to allow for that type of connection. (Many keyboards have USB host ability, but it is strictly for connecting a USB flash drive, not another USB-MIDI device.)

If neither keyboard has the proper USB host ability built in-- which is usually the case-- you will need to connect both keyboards to a suitable USB host device and use that device to route the MIDI data back and forth between the two keyboards as desired. A computer or laptop can be used as the USB host and MIDI router, and you might also be able to use a tablet or smart phone depending on its connection capabilities and OS features. Or you can buy a standalone USB-MIDI host device such as a Kenton USB-MIDI host or one of the iConnectivity USB-MIDI interfaces which can act as a USB host (not all of them can). There are a number of threads in this forum which list some of the available interface devices, so you might search this forum for "Kenton" and "iConnectivity" to see what you come up with.

Reaction score
I see that the O-61 is USB only, so to give you alternatives you can consider.

1 - a host interface as per Michaels advice.

2 - sell off the O-61 and use the cash to help fund a FA 7.

3 - consider a different keyboard like a Roland Juno DS 88 (or XPS-30 88) which would give similar sounds to the FA but with 88 keys and at much less cost.

4 - jump right in an get an FA 8 with a low cost loan to cover the difference in cost if that is possible

5 - sell on the O-61 and buy a better controller.

6 - buy an 88 key controller and have a software only solution.

Reaction score
Welcome.

I cannot be specific with the FA and O-61.

As setup I recent saw had the controller connected directly MIDI to MIDI which in this case was a Korg PA4X and they had assigned the controller to provide the full range.

In the store there was another 88 key controller connected up again via MIDI to MIDI to a different 61 key Korg.

I did not get chance to check out either setup.

I am assuming that you want to be able to assign the M Audio to cover a range of keys that the FA06 does not have, I am unsure if it is possible.

BTW good choice of keyboard, I am considering buying the FA 88.

Thank you so much for your reply.. in addition to it
i had seen a video where the guy connects the roland fantom to one of the roland MIDI keyboard using the traditional multi-pin(midi in and midi out).. and thats possible but no where i see the use of usb type midi thats getting connected to this.

Reaction score
You cannot directly connect two keyboards via USB-MIDI unless one of the keyboards has built-in USB host ability and is programmed to allow for that type of connection. (Many keyboards have USB host ability, but it is strictly for connecting a USB flash drive, not another USB-MIDI device.)

If neither keyboard has the proper USB host ability built in-- which is usually the case-- you will need to connect both keyboards to a suitable USB host device and use that device to route the MIDI data back and forth between the two keyboards as desired. A computer or laptop can be used as the USB host and MIDI router, and you might also be able to use a tablet or smart phone depending on its connection capabilities and OS features. Or you can buy a standalone USB-MIDI host device such as a Kenton USB-MIDI host or one of the iConnectivity USB-MIDI interfaces which can act as a USB host (not all of them can). There are a number of threads in this forum which list some of the available interface devices, so you might search this forum for "Kenton" and "iConnectivity" to see what you come up with.

Thank you so much . i was searching for the exact term , and you helped me out. so i think i should go for FA06 (guessing the best in its price range.)

Reaction score
I see that the O-61 is USB only, so to give you alternatives you can consider.

1 - a host interface as per Michaels advice.

2 - sell off the O-61 and use the cash to help fund a FA 7.

3 - consider a different keyboard like a Roland Juno DS 88 (or XPS-30 88) which would give similar sounds to the FA but with 88 keys and at much less cost.

4 - jump right in an get an FA 8 with a low cost loan to cover the difference in cost if that is possible

5 - sell on the O-61 and buy a better controller.

6 - buy an 88 key controller and have a software only solution.
Well thank you for the alternatives you had just provided. actually i was looking forward to FA series just because of the interface they had provided and i wanted to use the keyboard for music production as well..

Also i am trying to sell it , but no ones ready for it as there is no support from M-audio for this particular model
coz as i repair my own stuff. i tried to search the carbon pads and was no where available.

Can you please suggest, as i am going to use the keyboard for both performance and music production. what should i go for , for the similar price range.

Ask a Question