cannot copy midi files to PSR e443

Reaction score
i am using windows 7, 64bit pc
i installed musicsoft downloader,
connection check is success full
when i click electronic music instruments to display the flash drive, it gives message cannot access drive
attached screenshop

any idea how to solve the isue

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 1,518
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 2,024
Reaction score
My problem is similar. I find I cannot transfer my song on PSR E413 to the computer (Win 7) connected with USB & driver. Instead the whole backup file is transferred (.BUP format) which can't be opened.

Reaction score
edsa0601:

Page 90 of the PSR-E413 Owner's Manual states:

"Songs, styles, or Music Database files residing on a
computer or the supplied CD-ROM, can be transferred
to the instrument. Backup files can also be
transferred from the instrument to the computer
and back."

Note that the only reference of file transfer from the keyboard to the computer are the back-up (.BUP) files.
Yamaha Song files and Standard MIDI Files can only be downloaded from the computer to the keyboard,
not the other way. This is typical of the PSR-E403, 413, 423 model line, and differ from the E433 and E443
in this respect, as those models have the capability of saving SMF's to a USB flash drive.

Your alternative is to record the keyboard's MIDI output via USB into a computer DAW/MIDI Sequencer software program.

Last edited:
Reaction score
edsa0601:

Page 90 of the PSR-E413 Owner's Manual states:

"Songs, styles, or Music Database files residing on a
computer or the supplied CD-ROM, can be transferred
to the instrument. Backup files can also be
transferred from the instrument to the computer
and back."

Note that the only reference of file transfer from the keyboard to the computer are the back-up (.BUP) files.
Yamaha Song files and Standard MIDI Files can only be downloaded from the computer to the keyboard,
not the other way. This is typical of the PSR-E403, 413, 423 model line, and differ from the E433 and E443
in this respect, as those models have the capability of saving SMF's to a USB flash drive.
Your alternative is to record the keyboard's MIDI output via USB into a computer DAW/MIDI Sequencer software program.

Thank you so much for that advice. Didn't know that E413 was restricted but not E433 & E443. Much appreciated.

Reaction score
Thank you so much for that advice. I didn't know that E413 was restricted compared with E433/443.
Much appreciated.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
The Yamaha PSR-E403, PSR-E413, PSR-E423, PSR-I425, YPT-400, YPT-410, and YPT-420 keyboards have a USB TO HOST port, but not a USB TO DEVICE port. (Each YPT model is identical to one of the PSR-E models; only their casings are different.)

On the other hand, the Yamaha PSR-E433, PSR-E443, and PSR-I455 keyboards have both a USB TO HOST port and a USB TO DEVICE port.

The USB TO HOST port lets you stream (transmit) MIDI data between the keyboard and a computer-- i.e., it serves the role of MIDI IN and MIDI OUT ports-- as well as use the Musicsoft Downloader program to transfer Backup files, song files, or style files between the keyboard and the computer.

The USB TO DEVICE port lets you connect an external USB drive (e.g., a thumb drive) to the keyboard and transfer User files, song files, or style files between the keyboard and the external drive. To access the external drive you must hold down the FUNCTION button to call up the FILE CONTROL menu. One of the options in the FILE CONTROL menu is Save SMF. When you select that option, the keyboard will process a User Song recording to convert it into a standard MIDI file, and write the SMF to the external drive. If the keyboard doesn't have a USB TO DEVICE port, it won't have a FILE CONTROL menu, which means it won't have the Save SMF option. (It also won't have the options to save and load User files, but that's another matter.)

Without the USB TO DEVICE port and the Save SMF option, the only ways to save a User Song externally are either to transfer the keyboard's Backup file to a computer-- in which case the User Song will be embedded inside the Backup file-- or else to play back the song on the keyboard while it's connected to a computer, use a DAW or other utility to capture the audio or MIDI data (depending on how the keyboard is connected to the computer), and save the captured data to a file.

"Extra for Experts" (or: "Additional Information that You Really Didn't Care to Know")

It's possible to use a computer to extract individual User Songs from a Backup file or User file and save them as separate MIDI song files. However, this is tricky to do because of the way the User Songs are stored inside the Backup file or User file-- namely, there are no MIDI Header chunks (so you must create them), and the MIDI Track chunks are divided up into blocks such that a given track could be split into several segments, and the various segments of a track could be scattered throughout the file in a jumbled order and interspersed among segments of other tracks (so you must assemble each track from the correct segments and in the correct order).

Furthermore, the constructed song file won't contain any Style, Pattern, or Tabla/Tanpura accompaniment. (Pattern accompaniments are available only on the PSR-E433 and PSR-E443, and Tabla/Tanpura accompaniments are available only on the PSR-I455.) Instead, the MIDI file will contain special Sequencer-Specific Meta Event messages that tell the keyboard which Style (or Pattern or Tabla/Tanpura) to select, which tracks of the accompaniment to use, and what Volume the accompaniment should be played at, as well as which chord to use (and when to switch to that chord) and which accompaniment section to use (and when to switch to that section). This means the accompaniment data is actually stored in a more "compressed" format, although the MIDI file won't play back correctly except on keyboards that use the same numbers for the same accompaniments and that use the same Sequencer-Specific Meta Event messages.

When you convert a User Song to a MIDI song file with the Save SMF option, the keyboard executes these Sequencer-Specific Meta Event messages at the proper times such that the desired accompaniment is "played" in the desired manner and saved in "expanded" form so it will play back correctly on any keyboard-- although some of the voices or drum kits may need to be replaced with voices or drum kits which are available on that keyboard.

Reaction score
The Yamaha PSR-E403, PSR-E413, PSR-E423, PSR-I425, YPT-400, YPT-410, and YPT-420 keyboards have a USB TO HOST port, but not a USB TO DEVICE port. (Each YPT model is identical to one of the PSR-E models; only their casings are different.)

On the other hand, the Yamaha PSR-E433, PSR-E443, and PSR-I455 keyboards have both a USB TO HOST port and a USB TO DEVICE port.

The USB TO HOST port lets you stream (transmit) MIDI data between the keyboard and a computer-- i.e., it serves the role of MIDI IN and MIDI OUT ports-- as well as use the Musicsoft Downloader program to transfer Backup files, song files, or style files between the keyboard and the computer.

The USB TO DEVICE port lets you connect an external USB drive (e.g., a thumb drive) to the keyboard and transfer User files, song files, or style files between the keyboard and the external drive. To access the external drive you must hold down the FUNCTION button to call up the FILE CONTROL menu. One of the options in the FILE CONTROL menu is Save SMF. When you select that option, the keyboard will process a User Song recording to convert it into a standard MIDI file, and write the SMF to the external drive. If the keyboard doesn't have a USB TO DEVICE port, it won't have a FILE CONTROL menu, which means it won't have the Save SMF option. (It also won't have the options to save and load User files, but that's another matter.)

Without the USB TO DEVICE port and the Save SMF option, the only ways to save a User Song externally are either to transfer the keyboard's Backup file to a computer-- in which case the User Song will be embedded inside the Backup file-- or else to play back the song on the keyboard while it's connected to a computer, use a DAW or other utility to capture the audio or MIDI data (depending on how the keyboard is connected to the computer), and save the captured data to a file.

"Extra for Experts" (or: "Additional Information that You Really Didn't Care to Know")

It's possible to use a computer to extract individual User Songs from a Backup file or User file and save them as separate MIDI song files. However, this is tricky to do because of the way the User Songs are stored inside the Backup file or User file-- namely, there are no MIDI Header chunks (so you must create them), and the MIDI Track chunks are divided up into blocks such that a given track could be split into several segments, and the various segments of a track could be scattered throughout the file in a jumbled order and interspersed among segments of other tracks (so you must assemble each track from the correct segments and in the correct order).

Furthermore, the constructed song file won't contain any Style, Pattern, or Tabla/Tanpura accompaniment. (Pattern accompaniments are available only on the PSR-E433 and PSR-E443, and Tabla/Tanpura accompaniments are available only on the PSR-I455.) Instead, the MIDI file will contain special Sequencer-Specific Meta Event messages that tell the keyboard which Style (or Pattern or Tabla/Tanpura) to select, which tracks of the accompaniment to use, and what Volume the accompaniment should be played at, as well as which chord to use (and when to switch to that chord) and which accompaniment section to use (and when to switch to that section). This means the accompaniment data is actually stored in a more "compressed" format, although the MIDI file won't play back correctly except on keyboards that use the same numbers for the same accompaniments and that use the same Sequencer-Specific Meta Event messages.

When you convert a User Song to a MIDI song file with the Save SMF option, the keyboard executes these Sequencer-Specific Meta Event messages at the proper times such that the desired accompaniment is "played" in the desired manner and saved in "expanded" form so it will play back correctly on any keyboard-- although some of the voices or drum kits may need to be replaced with voices or drum kits which are available on that keyboard.

Reaction score
I have posted elsewhere (conversation) that though I fitted an audio file as suggested, the Keyboard (E413) shuts off its speakers when an audio lead is inserted in the keyboard jack. So there is no sound.
I now see from your above comment that E413 does not work with an audio cable. I wish I knew the limitations of the E413 earlier.

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
The PSR-E413 works just fine with an audio cable. You're correct that the built-in speakers won't make any sound while an audio cable is plugged into the PHONES/OUTPUT jack, because the audio will be going to whatever's connected to the other end of the cable-- a pair of headphones, speakers, a tape recorder, a computer, etc. Even if you can't hear the keyboard [edit: through its built-in speakers], you can still record your song in Audacity or other program.

As long as you're playing back a User Song that's already recorded, you don't really need to be able to hear it while you're recording the audio on your computer. But if you want to play and record at the same time then you'll probably want to use an audio splitter so you can listen with headphones or whatever while recording on the computer.

Eventually you may want to get a DI box and an audio interface. They aren't essential at this point, but they'll help you get more professional-quality recordings.

Reaction score
I am also having problems transferring midi files to my new yamaha psr e443 keyboard. I am having the same problem as Ahmed is having. I keep getting the error message "cannot access the drive" when I use the program called Musicsoft Downloader. Any ideas what the problem might be? I installed the latest yamaha midi drivers for my windows 7 64 bit computer. I did the usb connectivity test and it worked. It is as if the flash memory in the keyboard is not there or malfunctioning. Any ideas on how to solve this problem would be appreciated very much. Thank you for your time.

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
Here are a few things to double-check as a start:

(1) Be sure you're using a USB 2.0 cable, not a USB 3.0 cable. I don't know if this matters if you're connecting to a USB 2.0 port, but the "Computer-related Operations" manual specifically states that "USB 3.0 cables cannot be used." It also says the cable should be less than 3 meters long (about 9.8 feet).

(2) Be sure you're connecting the cable to a USB 2.0 port on the computer; you should not connect to a USB 3.0 port.

(3) Be sure the keyboard is turned off when you connect it to the computer.

(4) Turn on the keyboard and wait for the computer to recognize it before you start up the Musicsoft Downloader program.

Let us know if you still get the error message.

Reaction score
Here are a few things to double-check as a start:

(1) Be sure you're using a USB 2.0 cable, not a USB 3.0 cable. I don't know if this matters if you're connecting to a USB 2.0 port, but the "Computer-related Operations" manual specifically states that "USB 3.0 cables cannot be used." It also says the cable should be less than 3 meters long (about 9.8 feet).

(2) Be sure you're connecting the cable to a USB 2.0 port on the computer; you should not connect to a USB 3.0 port.

(3) Be sure the keyboard is turned off when you connect it to the computer.

(4) Turn on the keyboard and wait for the computer to recognize it before you start up the Musicsoft Downloader program.

Let us know if you still get the error message.
Hi again
I am using a usb 2.0 cable and I am plugged into a usb 2.0 port.
The cable is under 3 m long. I hooked the keyboard into the computer while the power on the keyboard was turned off. After hooking the keyboard into the computer using the usb 2.0 port I turned on the keyboard.
I turned on the musicsoft downloader and now everything is working fine. Thank you very much for the advice you gave me I really appreciate it! I hope you have a great day! Thanks again.

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
Whew, I'm glad that worked! ;) Have fun with your new PSR-E443. :)

Reaction score
Hi, I have recently bought a Yamaha PSR i455 keyboard. As given in the manual, I've tried to copy MIDI files (.mid extension) in my USB pen drives (Transcend 8GB & 16GB) in the root directory as well as in the first sub-directory. Still the keyboard doesn't recognize any midi files from the USB drive. It just shows "no file" for USR and SMF. Please advise.

Reaction score
Hello, I have a Yamaha PSR-E343 and I recorded a performance that I want to transfer to my computer for publication

Done :
Downloaded Musicsoft Downloader
Connected the USB 2.0 cable berfore turning on the piano

Problem :
When I look into the instrument via Musicsoft, i get this screen regarding the backup section everything is fine :

1586559342777.png

But when I look in the Flash Memory (and i have recorded 5 performances) it seems that the software doesn't detect them, and this is my problem!

1586559445014.png

Thank you in advance if somewone can help me!

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
The User Songs are inside the PSR-E343.BUP file. The only way to extract them to MIDI files is to do it manually in a hex editor, which is no simple feat, and the resulting MIDI files might not work correctly on other Yamaha models.

If you want to save the User Songs as MIDI files, the best solution is to connect the keyboard to a computer with a USB cable, use a DAW to capture and record the keyboard's MIDI output while you are playing back a User Song, and export the DAW's MIDI tracks to a MIDI file.

Alternatively, if you want to save the User Songs as audio files, the best solution is to connect the keyboard to a computer with a stereo audio cable, use a DAW to capture and record the keyboard's audio output while you are playing back a User Song, and export the DAW's audio tracks to a WAV, MP3, or other audio file.

Ask a Question