Cannot play styles on Yamaha PSR E453

Reaction score
Hi Guys, new here as you can tell - first post.
I recently purchased the Yamaha E453 and have a problem I can't solve. Read the manual over and over thinking I obviously missed something. When I select ACMP (left of the split point) and then try to play a style, the left hand area of the keyboard goes mute, neither it does play the selected style. is there something I need to press other the ACMP to start playing with styles?
Any help appreciated, thanks

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Yes, you also need to press either the SYNC START button or the START/STOP button. Pressing the SYNC START button will put the accompaniment into a standby mode where it will wait for you to start playing, at which time the accompaniment will begin playing as well. Pressing the START/STOP button instead will start playing the accompaniment right away without waiting for you to start playing.

Reaction score
Welcome.

Do have a look at page 53 of the manual that explains adjusting the style volume, possibly it is turned all the way down.

On a seperate matter it is possible to mute the tracks that make up the Style, your track display will show them as greyed out if theyare muted.

Reaction score
Welcome.

Do have a look at page 53 of the manual that explains adjusting the style volume, possibly it is turned all the way down.

On a seperate matter it is possible to mute the tracks that make up the Style, your track display will show them as greyed out if theyare muted.
Thanks Biggles. It worked. Now I'm feeling like a stupid though!

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Now I'm feeling like a stupid though!
NO WAY! The controls and selection methods are vast and complicated on these sophisticated instruments. Everyone of us here has experienced problems of some sort and situtions needing help! That's why we support each other at this forum.
Glad it works for you now.
Ray

Reaction score
No need to feel bad about youself, feel bad about Yamaha.

Yamaha seem to relish in producing keyboards with some very odd quirks and a manual that was written by the same team who write the Korg manuals.

You see these keyboard manual writers every time you watch a Star Trek movie, they are the Klingons and there translation skills leave a bit to be desired.

Glad all is OK, but can you tell us which of the two options that I gave you it was?

Reaction score
No need to feel bad about youself, feel bad about Yamaha.

Yamaha seem to relish in producing keyboards with some very odd quirks and a manual that was written by the same team who write the Korg manuals.

You see these keyboard manual writers every time you watch a Star Trek movie, they are the Klingons and there translation skills leave a bit to be desired.

Glad all is OK, but can you tell us which of the two options that I gave you it was?

Mr. Biggles,
Thanks for your help again. The style volume was somehow set to zero. Just had to turn it up. It feels great to see such an active forum and even more helpful members on this forum. I myself will keep on posting my queries in the upcoming journey of learning to play keyboard. At the same time, I'll try to contribute as much as I can.

Reaction score
Thanks for coming back.

You will get nothing but support and encouragement for the members of this forum.

Enjoy your progress in the wonderful world of learning to play a musical instrument.

Best advice I can give is practice little and often.

Get some ebooks on music theory and read them for a few minutes on your commute to and from work if you take public transport, read for 10 minutes at lunchtime, knowledge aids physical learning.

Reaction score
Thanks for coming back.

You will get nothing but support and encouragement for the members of this forum.

Enjoy your progress in the wonderful world of learning to play a musical instrument.

Best advice I can give is practice little and often.

Get some ebooks on music theory and read them for a few minutes on your commute to and from work if you take public transport, read for 10 minutes at lunchtime, knowledge aids physical learning.

Thank you for your suggestions and advice. Could you please suggest me a couple of ebooks on music theory that would be helpful for beginners?

Reaction score
Thanks Biggles. It worked. Now I'm feeling like a stupid though!
Well, here it is Dec, 2019. Bought a e463, also have e443. Anyway, I've played Styles before on my new 463. No problem. All of a sudden I couldn't hear Styles. The settings would show tho. I feel like a dummy too!! Cause I have set Volume on Voices & Groove. I read this thread, "turn up Styles Volume". AHA Yes, let there be sound. I'm 66, retired, & memory isn't as it should be...that's my story, my excuse & I'm sticking to it. Found my answer on here the 1st time around & am now Registered.

Reaction score
Welcome.

I've turned the style volume up and there is still no sound. I found out the tracks were muted. How to unmute it?

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
If it's a PSR-E400 level model that has the six Track Control buttons, you can use each of those buttons to toggle on and off the style parts that each button affects.

However, note that not all styles contain all "six" parts. (There are actually eight possible style parts, but some of them are either paired together or omitted on the PSR-E models.) If a given style doesn't contain any data for a given style part, then you can press the corresponding Track Control button all you want and it won't make a difference, as there's no part to toggle on and off.

What style is it? Is it a built-in or "internal" style, or is it an "external" style that you got from somewhere?

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
Welcome, Nin!

Have you looked in the Function menu to see what the Style Volume is set to?

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
Is it one of the built-in styles, or a style that you loaded from an external style file?

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
When using external style files, you might need to "revoice" the style so it selects voices which are available on your model. You can use the free "Style Revoicer" utility from Jørgen Sørensen to do this:

Sometimes an external style file will still play even if it's trying to select voices which are not included on your model. That's because the keyboard might be able to automatically switch to an available voice of the same or similar type of instrument sound. However, that isn't always the case.

Consequently, you might want to revoice the style even if it seems to play just fine as it is, and even if it already selects voices which are available on your model. That's because it might not be using the best-sounding voices which are available.

The voices which the style is trying to select might not be the issue, but it's a good place to start if you need to troubleshoot a problematic style file. Other potential problems include the overall format or SFF version that the style file is programmed in, as well as the style parts and variation which the style file is programmed to play. There are a number of other free style utilities from Jørgen Sørensen that can help you make corrections or adjustments to style files as needed:

Ask a Question