Cannot receive audio input

Reaction score
Hello fellow musicians.

I've got a very newbie question here.. I'm trying to record some audio from my keyboard into Cubase (5). I've always used MIDI, and I receive MIDI signals just fine from my USB-connected keyboard. Now I want to do an audio track instead of a midi track in Cubase, so I tried assigning a mono bus 'in' and 'out' and assigned these to the new audio track.
But while I still get MIDI signals, I cannot seem to get a signal at all on the audio track (monitor is also checked).
I should be able to do this with a keyboard connected to my computer via USB, right? Or am I missing something?
I'm using Voicemeeter Banana (Voicemeeter Virtual ASIO) as driver, and it is selected in device setup and also assigned to the bus.
Do I need to use a specific VST port? I've tried all of them, though.

What am I doing wrong here?

My MIDI keyboard is not registrered in Voicemeeter Banana as a hardware input (it doesn't recognize USB inputs apparently) - could this be the problem, or should I be able to record anyway? I've tried plugging a mic in as a hardware input - that worked, in Cubase as well. How can I also get my keyboard to work?

Do I need to buy an adapter to have my computer recognize it as a hardware input?

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
What keyboard do you have?

Is it an instrument, or just a controller? (Since you want to record audio tracks, I assume it's an instrument, but it's best to be sure.)

If it's an instrument, what kind of audio outputs does it have? Some keyboards can output USB audio, but a lot of keyboards don't have that capability, in which case you'd need to use one or more audio cables, depending on the keyboard's audio connections-- e.g., a TRS cable, or pair of TS cables, or double-TS-to-TRS cable, etc. If you have a USB audio interface then you could connect the keyboard to the interface via audio cable(s), then connect the interface to the computer via USB cable. I use an inexpensive Behringer UCA222 interface with my Yamahas, which required buying a TRS-to-RCA cable, since the UCA222 takes a pair of RCA plugs. Or you could just directly connect the keyboard to the computer, which might require a special audio cable or adapter, since most instruments use 1/4" (6.35mm) plugs but most computers use 1/8" (3.5mm) plugs.

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply!
My keyboard is an instrument, yes; a Casio Privia PX-350. In fact, you helped me choose it when I bought it ;) It's in one of my old threads, and yes, it's got a USB port. I usually have a cable going from this to my computer, which gives me the MIDI signals. Don't know if the audio could go the same way, but I couldn't see why it shouldn't be able to? But I don't know that much about the tech.
I thought about buying an audio interface or a converter, but of course I would rather not if the USB connection could do the trick. So I guess that's really my question here.

Reaction score
One more question: my guitar can be plugged into the keyboard so that the audio gets out through the speakers. If I were to connect my keyboard with this new cable, would the audio from the guitar also be transferred to the computer? Or would I need a separate cable for that too? Or could I use the same cable, even if it's dual?

Last edited:

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
If you want a mono output then connect only the Left Channel on the keyboard. Then it will only record on the left channel of your soundcard though. For stereo you need both the connections to the keyboard. Since your computer's soundcard is stereo it makes sense to do a stereo hookup.

And yes, any audio you pump into the keyboard should be output on the same L/R Line OUT channels so your guitar would be recorded as well. The only thing is that you might have to run the guitar thru a battery powered preamp to bring the signal up to line levels in order to get a clear signal thru the keyboard input.

For more complicated scenarios you would require hooking up your instruments and mics thru a mixer and sending the output to the computer.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Ah, I see. Thank you very much for the clear explanation! Will see if I can't get one of these cables then.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
That should do the job but 5 meters is a little long. I'd suggest getting a 3 meter cable instead.

Gary ;)

Ask a Question