Can't get audio from Ferrofish B4000+

Reaction score
Just purchased a Ferrofish B4000 and having trouble getting an audio signal to my amp. Midi keyboard is connected correctly and I'm using the B4000 audio output to the amp. I also cannot get a signal to the headphone jack. The pre-recorded Demo sounds fine through both the phones and the amp, but can't produce my own audio. Anybody familiar with the B4000?

Reaction score
Just purchased a Ferrofish B4000 and having trouble getting an audio signal to my amp. Midi keyboard is connected correctly and I'm using the B4000 audio output to the amp. I also cannot get a signal to the headphone jack. The pre-recorded Demo sounds fine through both the phones and the amp, but can't produce my own audio. Anybody familiar with the B4000?
Could be a multitude of things and without looking at the unit it's hard to tell. First thing I would do is a factory reset; this should fix whatever parameter is causing the volume not to output from the outputs.

To reset the B4000+, hold the UPPER and LOWER buttons down while switching on the unit.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
The audio out on the B4000 is stereo thru a TRS connector. This requires a 1/4 inch TRS to twin TS cable.

Also MIDI In on the Ferrofish connects to MIDI out on the keyboard.

Reaction score
Could be a multitude of things and without looking at the unit it's hard to tell. First thing I would do is a factory reset; this should fix whatever parameter is causing the volume not to output from the outputs.

To reset the B4000+, hold the UPPER and LOWER buttons down while switching on the unit.
Dave, tried the reset without success. I appreciate your suggestion. Let me know if you come up with anything else to try.

Reaction score
Dave,
MIDI cable runs from Roland MIDI OUT to B4000 MIDI IN-A. 1/4" phone cable from B4000 AUDIO OUT to amplifier. I currently have headphones connected to the PHONES jack. The B4000 comes with a pre-recorded factory DEMO, which plays just fine through the headphones and the amplifier. This tells me my problem may not be between the B4000 and the amp. It may be that the B4000 isn't recognizing my MIDI keyboard and therefore unable to process it. I'm wondering whether there is a way to tell whether the B4000 is receiving the MIDI signal.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Stupid question. What channel do you have the B4000+ and keyboard set to?

Ansd I'm telling you. The output of the B4000+ does NOT use a TS patch cord.

It requires TRS.

Also, do you have the Roland's MIDI out enabled in the menu?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
BTW, I do own a B4000+ and mine works flawlessly.

Also where have you set the drawbars?

They are essentially the volume controls for the module.

Reaction score
Dave,
MIDI cable runs from Roland MIDI OUT to B4000 MIDI IN-A. 1/4" phone cable from B4000 AUDIO OUT to amplifier. I currently have headphones connected to the PHONES jack. The B4000 comes with a pre-recorded factory DEMO, which plays just fine through the headphones and the amplifier. This tells me my problem may not be between the B4000 and the amp. It may be that the B4000 isn't recognizing my MIDI keyboard and therefore unable to process it. I'm wondering whether there is a way to tell whether the B4000 is receiving the MIDI signal.
Thanks. Happyrat hit a couple of points I'll reiterate:

Check the roland midi configuration to understand what midi channel it is sending to the midi out port.
Ensure the fish's midi IN port is set to receive on the same midi channel, in other words the roland's midi Out and the Fish's Midi In need to be on the same midi channel in order to talk to each other

The Fish only has one Output and that output is Tip,Ring, Sleeve (aka TRS). In order to get the proper output to the amp input you need a male TRS cable to two TS (Tip, Sleeve) females, then connect normal phone plugs (TS). Google TS vs. TRS connections to understand the difference.

Ensure the drawbars are pulled out, if they are all pushed "in" no sound is produced.

Putting the 'demo' aside for a second, can you hear sound from the headphone jack when you play from the keyboard? If so then the issue is the output to amp connection, if you cant then the issue is between the roland and the fish, which could mean: a bad midi cord, midi out on roland not sending at all or sending on a different channel than the fish is receiving on, the roland midi out port is not activated/enabled. My M-Audio controller's 5 pin midi out defaults disabled. Not sure why but out of the box it is deactivated and has to be turned on.

Try the above and report back. I'll put this topic on the 'watch list'.

Last edited:
Reaction score
If you can hear the demo from the headphones and from the amp connected to the line out, then the audio side of things is obviously working (even though, as alluded to, you may only be getting mono, if you're not using TRS). Most likely, I'd say it's a MIDI issue, though I wouldn't rule out some setting in the Ferrofish. (As Gary basically points out, even something as simple as the drawbars not being pulled out could be giving you silence when you play.) The first thing I'd check are the MIDI settings on the Roland. Which model Roland is it?

Reaction score
If you can hear the demo from the headphones and from the amp connected to the line out, then the audio side of things is obviously working (even though, as alluded to, you may only be getting mono, if you're not using TRS). Most likely, I'd say it's a MIDI issue, though I wouldn't rule out some setting in the Ferrofish. (As Gary basically points out, even something as simple as the drawbars not being pulled out could be giving you silence when you play.) The first thing I'd check are the MIDI settings on the Roland. Which model Roland is it?
It's an old Roland EM-25.

Reaction score
It's an old Roland EM-25.
A quick look at the manual shows that the "upper" keyboard part transmits on MIDI channel 4. So your Ferrofish would have to be set to receive on MIDI channel 4, have you done that? (You probably also want the MIDI TxRx parameter of the Roland to be set to KBD, though ALL would probably be fine too.)

Reaction score
Scott,
You are right! My fish sounds great. I had received some bad information regarding the Roland MIDI channel. It does transmit on four. Thank you so much for your help. Gotta go jam on my "Fish!"

Reaction score
Dave wrote on Sunday:

Ensure the fish's midi IN port is set to receive on the same midi channel, in other words the Roland midi Out and the Fish's Midi In need to be on the same midi channel in order to talk to each other.

Check the roland midi configuration to understand what midi channel it is sending to the midi out port.

Happyrat wrote: Stupid question. What channel do you have the B4000+ and keyboard set to?

Scott wrote: The first thing I'd check are the MIDI settings on the Roland.

You wrote:

Midi keyboard is connected correctly.

You come here for logical advice. When someone asks you to check something it is because experience has shown that these are the common culprits.

I hope you learned something from this experience. When you ask for advice, follow the advice given ....

Reaction score
Dave wrote on Sunday:

Ensure the fish's midi IN port is set to receive on the same midi channel, in other words the Roland midi Out and the Fish's Midi In need to be on the same midi channel in order to talk to each other.

Happyrat wrote: Stupid question. What channel do you have the B4000+ and keyboard set to?

Scott wrote: The first thing I'd check are the MIDI settings on the Roland.

You wrote:

Midi keyboard is connected correctly.

You come here for logical advice. When someone asks you to check something it is because experience has shown that these are the common culprits.

I hope you learned something from this experience. When you ask for advice, follow the advice given .

Reaction score
Dave,
I came here seeking advice because I am not very knowledgeable on the topic and I appreciate the help of those who offer it. Thank you Dave for your help. However, don't feel hurt, rejected or feel you have to lash out at me. I talked to a Roland rep who told me my keyboard transmits on channel one. He was wrong. It transmits on channel four. My problem is now fixed. Thank you again for your help. When you come here offering logical advice, don't feel neglected if it doesn't immediately lead to a remedy. I hope your learned something from this experience. When you offer advice, do it in good faith, without expectation of worship.

Reaction score
I wasn't lashing out at anybody and I'm not expecting worship, and if I were this site is the LAST place I'd look for it. I guess you didn't learn much here, that's the sad part.....

Ask a Question