Can't use two outputs at the same time?

Reaction score
I'm trying to connect my SL 88 Studio to 2 USB based synthesizers (standalone Pianoteq box and PC). I've tried two different setups:

1. Using the built-in USB ouput + 1 MIDI to USB cable. In this case connecting the built-in USB seems to block any output on MIDI OUt 1. As soon as I disconnect the USB cable, MIDI OUT 1 works fine.

2. Using 2 MIDI to USB cables. As SL 88 has 2 MIDI outputs, I figured I would try using these instead of the built in connection, but I have the same problem, where MIDI Out 2 seems to take precedence over Out 1 - as long as Out 2 is connected, nothing is coming from Out 1. If I disconnect Out 2, Out 1 works fine.

What am I doing wrong? What is the point of having multiple MIDI outputs if they can't be used at the same time?

Reaction score
I was trying to avoid buying another box, but I guess there's no better solution.

Thanks

Reaction score
...I had the same problem even when using a Thru box (MIDI in powered). One of the MIDI2USB converters is a cheap one and it was probably pulling more current than what it should, preventing the other one from working, even though it was fine alone. I switched this converter for a new (and probably better) one, and now I can use both MIDI outputs directly on the SL88 without a separate Thru box.

Ask a Question