Casio 310 with 'Garage Band' ... (?)

Reaction score
I have a Casio 310 and am wondering whether the keyboard can be linked to an Apple Mac which has Garage Band. At the Apple Store they had a small keyboard linked to a Mac with Garage Band; this is OK but it would be better to use the weighted keys of the Casio.

I'm not looking to use the Casio for anything other than its keys.

Is this possible?

Thanks ...

M

Reaction score
I have a Casio 310 and am wondering whether the keyboard can be linked to an Apple Mac which has Garage Band. At the Apple Store they had a small keyboard linked to a Mac with Garage Band; this is OK but it would be better to use the weighted keys of the Casio.

I'm not looking to use the Casio for anything other than its keys.

Is this possible?

Thanks ...

M

If it has MIDI then it should be able to transmit MIDI messages into GB and therefore act as a controller, which is what you want to use it for, right?

Reaction score
Casio PX 310 with GarageBand ...

Thanks for your reply.

I've been onto Casio Support and they say:-

"First, confirm that your computer is equipped with a Sound Blaster or compatible audio card with a joystick port (Dsub 15-pin). If yes, you need a commercially available Sound Blaster MIDI cable adapter.

If your computer does not have a joystick port, you can connect your CASIO keyboard using a commercially available USB MIDI interface. Note, however, that some computers do not support use of a MIDI interface. Be sure to check whether your computer supports use of a MIDI interface before actually purchasing one.

You cannot use the "Analog audio in" socket on your Mac Power Book.
"

I must confess to being ignorant of GB and its use ... I've had Mac computers for years but have never used that function. I'm essentially an acoustic piano player, but have the Casio in the spare room and use it in the evenings when it would be inconsiderate to play straight piano.

You ask if I want to use the Casio as a controller. At the Apple Store they have a small keyboard next to iMac which they have to demonstrate GB. I guess this would be the controller.

I presume that the "MIDI interface" to which they refer is a black box which would go between the Casio and the GB on my Mac Power Book/

Any pointers would be appreciated ... apologies for my ignorance, but having both the keyboard and GarageBand, I'm curious to know how they might work together.

M

Reaction score
I have a midi/usb interface that is essestially one cord. it has the MIDI in/out split, then a blue housing for the interface, and out the other side comes a a usb cord that goes right to the apple mac. It's made by M-audio. It wasn't that expensive either, and I have it for years now.

Reaction score
Look on the back of the Casio and see if you have a "midi out" port. If not, then it can't be used as a midi controller. (The midi port is a five pin din connection)
If it does have a "midi out" out port, then it should be capable of interfacing with the computer as a controller keyboard.

Then, you'll probably need other hardware to connect the Casio and the computer. Do a google search on how to set-up a midi connection for a computer.there should be a tutorial out there that will help you get started.
B3

Ask a Question