Casio CT-X 5000

Reaction score
On a whim I bought one of these as a put me on until other models become available.

I have spent a couple of days with the keyboard and thought a write up may be of interest.
Casio CT-X 5000

An Arranger keyboard aimed at the beginner and intermediate player. Other models in the range are the 700, 800 & 3000 and there are others but what is available in one Country may be different in another, here in the UK the 800 is not readily available.

Inbuilt there are 800 instrument Tones and 235 Rhythms with Auto Accompaniment. There are Variations and Fills readily available at the touch of a button. Registrations can be saved in one of the 128 that are available (8 buttons and 16 banks).

At £350 the 5000 is not expensive but it is not cheap compared to the very many model permutations available from Yamaha with their top of range model being the PSR E463 which has a retail price of £260. The Casio CT X3000 retails at £280 and is a more direct competitor to the E463.

There are feature differences between the 5000 and 3000 models and briefly the 5000 has Mike input, a better sound system with 2x 15W amps onboard, more available Fx and more user defined parameters and 1/4” output jacks. Conversely the 3000 can be operated on batteries if required but the Tones and Rhythms are the same between these two models.

The key to the effective use of an Arranger keyboard is to make use of user saved Registrations. Let’s just clarify what a Registration actually is so we are all on the same page.

A Registration, is a user defined setup of Tones, Keyboard Splits, Tone Layers, Mixing, FX, Rhythm, Variations, Fills etc saved to a specific User Bank location. Then to play a specific song in your repertoire you simply call up the Registration applicable to that song and the keyboard is ready for you to start playing.

The thing that soon becomes annoying in any Arranger keyboard is how easy it is to set up a Registration, certainly with my Korg PA it was a very steep learning curve but for a beginner who probably have no idea what a Registration is how easy or difficult it can be will more than likely be a make or break for the keyboard.

Talk of Registrations is jumping the gun a bit, firstly we have to be able to select and change Tones then add a keyboard Split and Layer Tones. With the CT-X this task is very easy and should be one that is possible without reading the Manual.

Powering on.
Turn on the CT-X and the default Piano Tone will play, spin the dial to move between each of the available Tones in the Piano category. The Tone family is shown in text above the button and press another category button then the Tones in that category are access by the same jog dial. Each of the category buttons is dual action with the category Tone family type listed below the button relates to those Tones, to access these Tones a selector button activates the Tone family shown below the category button.

To Layer a chosen Tone with another Tome simply press the Layer button and a default strings Tone sounds in addition to the chosen Tone and this strings Tone can be changed by use of the category buttons and jog dial.

To have a split in the keyboard is another simple task, set the Tone required for the right hand section of the keybed then press the Split button and in the left hand section of the keybed an Acoustic Bass Tone sounds. The Tone to the left of the split point can be changed by use of the category selection buttons and jog dial.

Registrations.
The OS logic is different to the Korg and Yamaha keyboards I have tried and then I had to resort to reading the manual to set up the Split and Layered keyboard where I had two Tones upper and two Tones lower. I wanted to raise the lower split Tones by an Octave, and pressing the Octave key did the whole keyboard. With the information in the old grey matter I then used the Function button and the Cursor keys to get each of the Layered Tones selected and the + button increased the Octave.

Now was the time to try saving the setup as a Registration, pushed the Bank button and Button 1 and it loaded what was in there from the factory. OK so I did not read the Manual, back to the drawing board, created the Split and Layer again and using the process as per the Manual saved the Registration.

Just to make sure it was not a fluke I set about creating a sort of Glenn Miller sound with two Layers of brass in the upper and in the lower one brass and one strings, added some Reverb, Chorus and Delay. Find an appropriate Rhythm and time to setup another Registration, bingo, it worked.

Time for Registration three, early sixties guitar pop with a Strat lead, Reverb, Delay, Echo and that saved OK.

Mixer.
******* Manual, useless text on electronic paper. As you can tell a high frustration factor just getting to grips with the illogical nature of using the Mixer. The Mixer is a multi function Mixer, different configs gives different actions.

It took me a fair amount of time to get to grips with how to scroll between each of the Mixer features, which were:-
Tone Volume
Rhythm volumes
Song
Song solo

It was a work of art to get Volume displayed which in turn enabled each element to have its volume adjusted. Once I had the process down pat I set up one of the Registrations to lower the volume of the Tones to the left of the split. Next I scrolled to adjust Rhythm volume, in particular the drum volume and once lowered the Registration was again saved.

Not exactly a user friendly system but there again once you have the Registration setup and saved there is no need to revisit it, the problem being remembering the convoluted process for making a Registration days or weeks later.

Recording and/or playback.
I formatted a USB memory stick in the 5000, then read the manual. WAV files need to be placed inside a specific folder on the memory stick so on my PC I placed a few WAV’s and a few MIDI’s.

Playback of a WAV file is a case of pushing the Song button and scrolling to the desired song. I tried Satisfy My Soul by Paul Carrack and Wonderful Land by The Shadows, I have to say I am mightily impressed by the sound quality of the 5000’s amp and speakers.

Recording of my playing keyboard is not an action I have done a lot of but for the sake of thoroughness here goes.

Loaded on the the Registrations, pressed the Record button, started playing and the Recording started and the bars recorded was displayed. On completion of playing I pressed the Stop button on the Record section and the Play button and my performance started playing. So a quick and easy process for those who want to save their master pieces.

Conclusion.
An impressive keyboard, at this price point.

A beginner could very well get going on the CT-X very easily but getting used to the OS could very well be a task to far. There is a Function button for easy access to the OS and navigating is very easy but here again the illogical nature of the Manual shows itself. The Engineer in me would have a section of the Manual just on the features available within the Function menu with each page being described in the Manual in the order you find them and not scattered all over the Manual as is the case.

Is the 5000 worth the additional £70 over the 3000 or Yamaha E463, well imo yes. The 5000 has a Mike input, proper 1/4” output jacks in addition to a 1/8” audio input, there are two pedal inputs and a USB Host.

The sound quality of the inbuilt Tones hits the nail firmly on the head, they are that good and any keyboard in the price range would he hard pressed to equal the CT-X for Tone quality.

There are quirks with the OS and getting to grips with the Mixer is high on the frustration stakes but again stick at it and the penny will drop.

If you are in the market for a low cost Arranger then a CT-X could well fit your needs.

Reaction score
Sods Law strikes.

I went back to play the keyboard and selected one of the organ Tones but there was distortion with some of the lower keys.

Off and On with the keyboard and it froze.

Off and On again and selected a Tone, then pressed Split but instead of an Acoustic Bass it placed a Nylon Guitar to the left of the Split.

Something is very wrong, its going back.

Reaction score
There are feature differences between the 5000 and 3000 models and briefly the 5000 has Mike input, a better sound system with 2x 15W amps onboard, more available Fx and more user defined parameters and 1/4” output jacks. Conversely the 3000 can be operated on batteries if required but the Tones and Rhythms are the same between these two models.
There are some more differences between the models, see https://casiomusicgear.wordpress.com/2018/06/06/casio-ct-x3000-and-ct-x5000-differences-explained/

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
That plane ticket to pick up my Juno is starting to look better, ain't it? ;)

Seriously though, I stopped being interested in Casios with the introduction of the CTX line. They did some major cost cutting on the designs and they are way too crippled for me to even consider these days.

If you can get cash back for the defective unit, I heartily recommend you take a good look at the used market Col. Something 2 or 3 years old and gently used in a home studio. The same money as the new Casio will get you something that sold for twice as much a few years ago.

New models are coming out all the time from all the manufacturers these days, driving down the prices on used gear as well.

Best of luck man. ;)

Gary ;)

Reaction score
I bought off Amazon specifically in case a return was necessary.

I have no prior experience of Casio but as I wrote it does sound good, far better than Yamaha or Roland models at the similar price point. Build material quality is very good, shame it sucks with its flaky OK. One thing though when you are used to more keys, 61 does seem is very tight keybed.

Alas a used PA4X is like hens teeth, very rare and still commanding a premium. New a 76 key version is £2500 and they are still over £2000 as a used or ex demo unit. There is one at £2250, collect in person but 300 miles away so that is £160 in fuel plus the fine for breaking Covid rules.

The owners of a 4X do become very passionate and possessive about them, they will sell Granny before parting with the 4X. As it is probably the most 4X sales over here do go to the age challenged buyer and the only time a quantity of them will become available is if a new updated model is released, its way overdue as it is. Korg have release a lot if synths, the SV2, a couple of DP’s and the Nautilus in the last year or so hence they have not exactly been limited by Covid. The PA range is designed in Italy hence totally separate from the synth product development line.

Even when I sold my PA 700 I hardly lost anything on it, same with the Kross and even the Yamaha P121 went for very good money so a bargain will be very hard to find.

Reaction score
UPDATE.

Not got around to sending it back yet but I am just about to raise a return ticket.

Had a couple of sessions with the CT-X and yes there are definate issues with the keyboard.

Pressed the Tone button and selcted another category and nothing, no change in the playing Tone.

Pressed the Registration button and called up one of those I had saved and that worked OK.

So tried again with a Tone and nothing it would not change from the Registration.

Off and on with the thing and it went back to the Registration but this time pressing the tone and reed category did effect a change but it was not the Sax tone that came from the speakers but a strings tone.

A flaky keyboard is no use to anyone.

Experience with the Casio does not bode well for any other Casio that I may have been considering and it underlines the value of using a brand new keyboard like there is no tomorrow to accelerate or bring to the surface any underlying faults.

The End.

3dc

Reaction score

I am truly sorry for your troubles with Casio but I tried to warn you about CTX-5000. I know you hate Yamaha but at least it has much better build and sound quality then Casio.

Never pick a nice looking Fiat if you can afford a solid built Audi. :D

Reaction score
I am truly sorry for your troubles with Casio but I tried to warn you about CTX-5000. I know you hate Yamaha but at least it has much better build and sound quality then Casio.

Never pick a nice looking Fiat if you can afford a solid built Audi. :D
THE CTX was only ever intended as a cheap put me on, with the emphasis on the cheap.

As it is I still expect Korg to release a new or updated arranger this year and if it is as per previous it will be mid year for the announcement with first batch models later in the year or early next year. So I am going to need a put me on for another few months or a year, but what that will be is another matter, maybe just a MIDI controller to work with my iPad but me record with them is not good either.

BTW

Don't knock Fiat, my Wife had one for 17 years, it was the most reliable and cheap car we have ever owned. She covered over 100.000 trouble free miles. The FIAT acronym Fix It Again Tomorrow was never true with her little motor, it never broke down and we only had to replace tyres, brakes and the back exhaust box in the 17 years she had it. My Honda was bought at the same time and it rotted away after 8 years and went to the scrapyard.

As for Audi, it was the worst car I ever owned, bland and boring to drive with a tendence to wander all over the road at the slightest surface irregularity plus we are part of the class action against the VAG for their cheat emissions software so I am no Audi fan.

3dc

Reaction score
THE CTX was only ever intended as a cheap put me on, with the emphasis on the cheap.

Don't knock Fiat
I previously suggested Korg EK-50, EK-50L or even i3? These range from to 300-500€. And its a KORG. :)

BTW I would never knock Fiat. My very first car was the legendary Fiat 126p. The only straight 2 cylinders and 594 cc "sport coupe" in the world. Top speed was breathtaking 72 mph or 115 kmh. It was so small I could put it in my pocket. :D

Reaction score
The EK50 EK50L and i3 have rather dated sound engines (from the Korg PA50?). Not much is editable.

I bought a cheap CT-X800 and it had an issue of clacky keys which. This is a pity because honestly the AiX chip is great, it makes the whole Yamaha E series sound completely outdated. On the other hand, all their keyboards including the low-range, are very sturdy and reliable, I have never heard a story of anyone being let down by a Yamaha, ever.
If you’re not intending to gig, you might do something worse than going to a music shop to try out their latest arranging digital piano the DGX670. It has nice sounds and styles (which are tweakable) and, of course, 88 weighted keys. It features a 16-tracks sequencer. It also has a mike input socket. You can record your performance in audio directly on an USB stick. You I can use an infinite number of registrations and give them a name to recall them easily. It has a nice colour screen, not a touchscreen but lots of old-fashioned buttons to access easily all its features. It also has the CFX piano sample of their expensive Clavinova’s.
This DGX670 will sell like hot buns on the home market and might accommodate the needs of churches, bars and small venues or even small studios and music schools or private teachers.

Reaction score
The CT-X onboard sounds are imo much better than those in an E series Yamaha as is the Casio choice of materials.

At the beginner end of the market the alternatives to a Yamaha or Casio is a Roland Go Keys/Piano or a Korg EK, expectations of all keyboards in this lowish price range probably outweigh the abilities of the keyboards.

Moving up to what is essentially a hybrid with the Casio PX S3000 and the Yamaha DGX 670 they are in similar price ranges but probably the respective manufacturer has different customer criteria.

The Casio does look and sound pretty good and its small form factor and light weight would give it a sizeable mobility advantage. Certainly the S3000 does seem to offer the best functionality when it is connected to an iPad and the accompaniment App is used.

Korg’s XE20 offering is a capable DP, but my experience of Korg piano sounds leaves me preferring the offerings from both competitors, coupled with the questionable key action then this would place it third in order of preference. The Korg does have a very capable and easy to use arranger functionality.

Conversely the Yamaha DGX670 is a ground up redesign that looks good and sounds equally as impressive. At 47 lbs its right up there with its weight so probably intended more for home or fixed venue use that their competitors.

The Korg i3 is a one off, with no real competitors, it is a starter workstation with arranger features.

As with everything, research and hands on are the best way to determine what is right for you.

Reaction score
I bought a cheap CT-X800 and it had an issue of clacky keys
That seems to be an issue with a lot of the Casio non-hammer actions... some of them are very clacky, and some of them aren't, and it's seems to vary unit-by-unit, not nevessarily just model-by-model. At least that was the case with the XW units I played. If I were to buy one, my inclination would be to get it from a brick and mortar store, and play the exact unit I'd be getting before taking it home.

Last edited:
Reaction score
That seems to be an issue with a lot of the Casio non-hammer actions... some of them are very clacky, and some of them aren't, and it's seems to vary unit-by-unit, not nevessarily just model-by-model. At least that was the case with the XW units I played. If I were to buy one, my inclination would be to get it from a brick and mortar store, and play the exact unit I'd be getting before taking it home.
Sound advice. I’ll probably do that for my next keyboard.

Reaction score
Scott

Sound advice
BUT
Playing the actual keyboard you go on to buy in-store can give you different Terms and Conditions of purchase.

EG
In the UK buy via mail order and you generally you get 14-30 days to return the product if you decide it is not what you want.

Buy in-store after playing say a keyboard and a different set of T&C’s can be applied. Returning the unit can cost a fee and it can result in a credit note applied against another purchase from the same store rather than a full cash refund.

Of course a defective unit is another matter.

Remember we are an International Forum and local rules need to be checked.

Me, I play and play in-store and buy an unopened box Mail Order so I have no problems returning a keyboard etc

Reaction score
The EK50 EK50L and i3 have rather dated sound engines (from the Korg PA50?). Not much is editable.

I bought a cheap CT-X800 and it had an issue of clacky keys which. This is a pity because honestly the AiX chip is great, it makes the whole Yamaha E series sound completely outdated. On the other hand, all their keyboards including the low-range, are very sturdy and reliable, I have never heard a story of anyone being let down by a Yamaha, ever.
If you’re not intending to gig, you might do something worse than going to a music shop to try out their latest arranging digital piano the DGX670. It has nice sounds and styles (which are tweakable) and, of course, 88 weighted keys. It features a 16-tracks sequencer. It also has a mike input socket. You can record your performance in audio directly on an USB stick. You I can use an infinite number of registrations and give them a name to recall them easily. It has a nice colour screen, not a touchscreen but lots of old-fashioned buttons to access easily all its features. It also has the CFX piano sample of their expensive Clavinova’s.
This DGX670 will sell like hot buns on the home market and might accommodate the needs of churches, bars and small venues or even small studios and music schools or private teachers.
The 670 would be great if it had great speakers and or left right 1/4 audio out plugs

Ask a Question