Casio CTK 3200 - usb to computer

Reaction score
Hello all
i got a CTK 3200 and i want to play on it some midi files as background to use them either on keyboard or on guitar

can i send them to the keyboard by the usb connection? and if yes do i need a specific software for that?

thank you

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
The CTK-3200 is USB MIDI Class Compliant which means that Windows auto detects and installs the drivers as soon as you plug it in with a USB AB Printer Cable.

That means you should be able to just plug it in to your computer then load up a dedicated MIDI playing software and select the keyboard as your MIDI output device and it should play General MIDI files perfectly with no muss and no fuss.

I can't recommend any particular player for Windows as I use Linux but here's a quick listing of the players available on CNET.

http://download.cnet.com/1770-20_4-...,Webware,Mobile&tag=srch&searchtype=downloads

There's literally hundreds to choose from so you may have to try out a few before you find one you like.

Gary

Reaction score
The CTK-3200 is USB MIDI Class Compliant which means that Windows auto detects and installs the drivers as soon as you plug it in with a USB AB Printer Cable.

That means you should be able to just plug it in to your computer then load up a dedicated MIDI playing software and select the keyboard as your MIDI output device and it should play General MIDI files perfectly with no muss and no fuss.

I can't recommend any particular player for Windows as I use Linux but here's a quick listing of the players available on CNET.

There's literally hundreds to choose from so you may have to try out a few before you find one you like.

Gary

Gary
hello and thank you for your reply

for you to understand better what i want to do.

i can get midi files from the internet from songs which i like and i need to "send" them to the keyboard ctk 32000 in order to play them there...

in order to do all this i need the software you mention at the like above?

thank you

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
You either use a cable and midi playing software with your computer or else you download Casio's MIDI to SMF converter and convert the MIDIs and stick them on a Flash Memory Card and play them from there.

Either way it's your call...

Gary

PS. Just to make it clear, you CAN NOT send the files over a cable to the Casio's internal memory to play at a later time.

Reaction score
for the first option the file is played by the software from the computer? and for the second i transfer the file to the flash mermory of the CTK 3200 and is kept there? do you know size of memory? cause at the manual i didnt see any flash memory mentioned.

thank you

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
OK, I just scanned thru the manual. It does NOT support Flash Drives or SD Cards at all.

That means you have only one option to play downloaded MIDI files on it.

1) Connect it to a computer or iPad.

2) Load up a MIDI player software that allows you to select an external MIDI device and configure it to output to the 3200.

3) Load up your MIDI file and hit the play button.

That's it. That's your only option with the CTK-3200.

It's not a professional instrument, it has a bloody game built into it. :)

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
You're very welcome. Don't feel bad about it being a low end keyboard. We all have to start somewhere. ;)

Gary

Reaction score
yes i know...

i play guitar and i wanted to learn another instrument cause it will help me to learn music better... it seems to work... thats why i need the midi to play together...

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Well nowadays even the bottom of the line Casios offer more bang for the buck than back when I started out in the 70's and 80's.

Back in the 70's if someone sold a keyboard with the capabilities of the 3200 it would have easily cost over a thousand dollars.

I would have killed for something like it when I was starting out.

What you basically have is a 5 octave organ style keyboard with 400 voices, 48 note polyphony and built in sampling to boot.

Not too shabby.

A good way to start learning music theory, but if you really want to learn proper piano style playing you should keep an eye open for 88 weighted keyboards like the DGX-650 or the PX-350.

Anyway, have fun. As long as you hook it up to a computer you can use it to play back MIDI files to your heart's content.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
hello

i have another question. do you know if i can use my iPad to connect to the keyboard to and do the same as play midi files?

thanks

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Yeah, you should be able to use the Camera Connection Kit to hook up and use Garageband or any MIDI app you'd like.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
I wonder how that turned out. I am considering this keyboard as a neutral controller to trigger softsythns

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
If you want just a basic touch-sensitive keyboard controller for triggering Note On/Off events then the CTK-3200 should be fine for that.

But if you want a keyboard controller that can send a variety of Control Change events for modifying things like Attack Time, Release Time, Cutoff, Resonance, etc., then you might want to consider a MIDI keyboard controller that has numerous knobs, sliders, etc. which can be mapped to specific CC events in a soft synth.

Of course, by definition a soft synth runs on a computer, so you should be able to modify the soft synth's settings with the computer's input devices-- mouse, keyboard, etc.-- in which case all you might need a keyboard controller for is triggering the Note On/Off events.

So whether or not the CTK-3200 would be a good choice depends largely on how much you're wanting to control with the keyboard as opposed to with the computer. :)

Ask a Question