Casio ctk 7200

Reaction score
Hi
Just wondering if the if anyone would recomend the Casio ctk 7200
for gigging in pubs, hotels and generally small venues.
For years i have been using Technics keyboards but lately i find them a bit heavy especially for dragging up flights of stars.
I was once told that Casio were only good for making watches.
Any info would be much appreciated
Many thanks
K

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I've heard of people gigging with Casio CTKs and WKs quite often these days.

Casio has restarted producing professional grade instruments in the past few years.

I own a WK-6600 which sounds pretty decent pumped thru a Behringer 45 Watt Keyboard amp. My Kurzweil PC3K8 puts it to shame for sound quality and FX but it's still a credible sounding instrument.

Offhand, I'd say go out and audition a CTK-7200 and the comparable models from Yamaha including the PSR-e443 but do it thru a proper keyboard amp. The crappy built in speakers simply don't do them justice.

If you hear them for yourself then you can make an informed decision.

Gary ;)

The Y_man

Reaction score
I don't know how much they have revised the sound engine, but I find the sound out of my CTK-7000 rather screechy on strings, and unimpressive on piano (no sustain).

On paper they look great, but really found it lacking in the audio department.... :oops:

You'll want a good eq to run it through if gigging.

The Y-man

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
The screechy strings I agree with, IF you run it thru the built in speakers. Thru a keyboard amp they're not that bad.

As for the lack of sustain on piano. This is true, but there's not a $500 instrument in the world that can reproduce a decent piano sound. You have to spend at least double that amount if you need decent piano sounds.

Otherwise, if the OP requires good pianos then I'd say take a look at the Casio Privia PX-5S for a thou or spend a couple of grand on a Nord Stage or a Kawai MP5 or MP7 or a Kurzweil Artis.

I'd assumed from my initial reading that the OP was not too hung up on piano quality given the price range of instrument he was looking at and he didn't specify that he was looking for a stage piano.

Seeing that he was coming from using Technics keys previously I'd assumed he was more interested in passable organ voices as well as the usual compliment of MIDI sounds.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
I've heard of people gigging with Casio CTKs and WKs quite often these days.

Casio has restarted producing professional grade instruments in the past few years.

I own a WK-6600 which sounds pretty decent pumped thru a Behringer 45 Watt Keyboard amp. My Kurzweil PC3K8 puts it to shame for sound quality and FX but it's still a credible sounding instrument.

Offhand, I'd say go out and audition a CTK-7200 and the comparable models from Yamaha including the PSR-e443 but do it thru a proper keyboard amp. The crappy built in speakers simply don't do them justice.

If you hear them for yourself then you can make an informed decision.

Gary ;)
Many Thanks Gary
Regards
Kevin

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
You know, I thought my old Casio CTK-710 had a pretty decent piano sound, as do my three Yamahas. However, my standards about that are probably embarrassingly low in comparison to those of actual pianists-- and it's definitely true that the piano sounds don't have very long sustains. In short, I think it can make a big difference what sort of music you're wanting to play, since some songs might sound great if you're banging away madly on the keys with a honky-tonk piano voice, whereas other songs definitely call for more gently-played notes with a lengthy sustain.

Reaction score
I don't know how much they have revised the sound engine, but I find the sound out of my CTK-7000 rather screechy on strings, and unimpressive on piano (no sustain).

On paper they look great, but really found it lacking in the audio department.... :oops:

You'll want a good eq to run it through if gigging.

The Y-man
Many thanks for help
K

Ask a Question