Casio CTK7200 ?

Reaction score
Ok try again,

I have a Roland E09 and you can split the keyboard into 2 for easy lets say left and Right
with left being for acc. and right solo stuf, I can set each side with a different organ tone

Could I do the same with a casio using the the drawbar organs in a split ?

George

Reaction score
Hi Y-man,

My understanding was they were a very similar keyboard to the previous model the ctk7000
still no rush trying to find out what casios will and will not do without reading to much plerb as I tend to read what I want to read and then regret the purchase. anyway thanks for the info .......... George

The Y_man

Reaction score
I'll Check on my CTK-7000 - You can definitely split on 2 different organ tones presets, but not sure about running the dynamic drawbar function across the split.

The Y-man

Reaction score
hI Y-man,

That would be a big help to me, as long as the drawbar function would work on the main ( right side ) of the split as I tend to use the right side as lead and left side as acc. with a different volume level between the two. George

The Y_man

Reaction score
Good for you George.

I did get an opportunity to test my 7000 this morning at Church - unfortunately it looks like once you turn the split on, the drawbars deactivate :oops:..... hope this doesn't dampen your enthusiasm for the new board.

The Y-man

Reaction score
The problem is that the keyboard must be in Drawbar Organ mode in order for the drawbar sliders to work, but it is the PRESSING of the SPLIT button that pulls it out of Drawbar Organ mode, so you lose the drawbar function of the sliders. However, AFTER you have selected an UPPER voice and AFTER you have pressed the SPLIT button, you can press the Drawbar Organ button to select that as the LOWER tone and you have full Drawbar Organ functionality complete with active drawbar sliders for the lower voice. You will need to use the LAYER/OCTAVE button to shift the lower tone up a couple of octaves and adjust the volume balance of the upper and lower tones. I have yet to figure out how to do a SPLIT and keep the UPPER voice in Drawbar Organ mode. Maybe Casio did not see a need for this.

I just posted a question about this over on the Casio Music Forum. We'll see if we can get an answer from there.

Reaction score
Hi Ted,

Thanks for the info, I will be trying all kinds of things with it over the next few weeks
and will keep everyone updated as to what I find out myself. It all depends on your
playing style and the needs you have. I will certainly being asking some questions
very shortly. George

Reaction score
Hi Ted,

My question is how do you " adjust the volume balance of the upper and lower parts of the key board on the ctk7200 ? answering my on question here ? the only way I have been able to reduce the volume between the to sections is the tone thats in the left hand side is to open tone editor and reduce the volume setting in there and save it as a user tone , and recall it he next time I need that split? any one know a better way ?

one quick question when I setup the keyborad for a splits is there a way of saving the setup i.e
saving the tones for left and right hands sides plus split point and eq settings and recall it easily so I dont have to go through it every time ? George

Any help on this would be really helpful ................. George

Reaction score
OK George (and anyone else who is interested)

We're going to take this thing right from the top thru the entire process. We'll split the keyboard, select an
upper and lower tone and adjust their octave offsets and volumes. Before proceeding, I recommend reading over Page
36 of the Owner's Manual on how the parts are arranged within the mixer so you will have a better idea what is going
on when we get to that part.

So that we are all starting at the same point, start with the keyboard powered off. Power it on, and it should come
up to the initial TONE/RHYTHM selection screen. The TONE is StereoGrPiano, which is currently assigned to the
UPPER1 TONE and is spread across the entire keyboard. This screen does not show all of that information. It's just
something that you know when the keyboard first comes up. To keep things simple, we will stay with that TONE for
UPPER1, We just need to move it down one octave, so press and HOLD the OCTAVE button until the OCTAVE SHIFT screen comes up. Press the NO/V/- button once. The screen should now show an octave shift of -1 for the UPPER1 TONE. Press the EXIT button once to go back to the initial screen.

Now we will split the keyboard and select the LOWER TONE. Momentarily press the SPLIT button. Note that the screen
is now showing a TONE of Acous. Bass 1. That is the TONE that is currently assigned to the LOWER part. We could
use the +/- buttons, the jog wheel, or the TONE category buttons to select a different TONE, but we want the DRAWBAR
ORGAN, so momentarily press the DRAWBAR ORGAN button. You should now have your octave shifted piano on the upper keyboard and an organ on the lower keyboard. We need to bring it up a bit. Once again, press and HOLD the OCTAVE button until the OCTAVE SHIFT SCREEN comes up, but it is still pointed at the UPPER1 TONE, so MOMENTARILY press the OCTAVE button a second time. Now it is pointed at the UPPER2 TONE. MOMENTARILY press the OCTAVE button a third time and it will be pointed at the LOWER TONE. Press the YES/^/+ button twice to bring it up two octaves. Press the EXIT button once to get back to the DRAWBAR screen. This is probably the screen that you will want to keep up as you play so you can keep track of your drawbar positions. Give it a try. You should have a grand piano on the upper keyboard and a drawbar organ with working drawbars and perc/rotary buttons on the lower keyboard.

If the organ tends to over power the piano, we can bring its level down a bit with the mixer. Press the MIXER
button to bring up the mixer screen. Note that the cursor under the mixer grid is under the number 1, which is
track or channel A01 which controls the UPPER1 TONE. Channel A02 controls UPPER2 and A03 controls the LOWER TONE, so we need to move the cursor over to channel 3. Press the RIGHT ARROW (>) twice and note that the mixer is now pointed at A03 LOWER, but it is still set up for selecting a tone. We need to set it up for controlling volume.
Press the DOWN ARROW (V) once and notice that it is now set up to turn the LOWER TONE ON or OFF. Press the DOWN ARROW (V) again and you are ready to adjust the volume of the LOWER TONE. The default level is 127. To start, turn the jog wheel counter-clockwise and drop it down to about 90 or 95. You may need to adjust this level a bit from time to time as you change the drawbar positions. The more drawbars you have out, the louder the organ voice. At this point, if you
just press the EXIT button once, it will take you back to the DRAWBAR screen. Then if you press the MIXER button,
it will bring you back to this screen with the cursor setting right where you left it, so you can use the MIXER and
EXIT buttons to switch between these two screens. Do not try to play either of the UPPER tones while you are on the
MIXER screen, as at that point the organ will be temporarily spread across the entire keyboard.

Want to add a second UPPER voice ? Just press the LAYER button and it will bring in the default strings (UPPER2) tone. Then you should be able to use the above info to select different tones, octaves, and volumes for any of the parts.

If you really get into this, I strongly recommend saving your efforts to registrations so that you can bring them back up at the touch of a button.

Enjoy !

Ask a Question