Casio CTS-1 Audio in distortion / default volume level

Reaction score
I play with backing tracks alot, so I am always using the audio in from my iPad. On many of them it seems that I have to max the volume of the iPad to match the key volume of the CTS-1, and this often results in distortion of the backing track. So my 2 options are:

- try to redo backing tracks with higher volume (not entirely sure if that will actually work or if it will still distort, just at a lower iPad output volume)

- lower the key volume of the CTS-1 (as per page 33 in the manual; levels available are 0-127)

Couple questions:
- has anyone run into this and/or modified the key volume on the CTS-1?
- does anyone know what the default volume level is (the manual doesn't say)

One thing I worry about with this is whether it will affect recording output volume when I record through my audio interface.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
This is why I always use a mixer when recording from multiple sources.

You have to use Vu Meters to monitor the final mix and adjust to your liking so that each voice cuts thru the way you like it.

This is audio engineering 101 stuff.

You'll get the hang of it eventually but it takes a lot of trial and error to get a good final mix.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
This is why I always use a mixer when recording from multiple sources.

You have to use Vu Meters to monitor the final mix and adjust to your liking so that each voice cuts thru the way you like it.

This is audio engineering 101 stuff.

You'll get the hang of it eventually but it takes a lot of trial and error to get a good final mix.

Gary ;)
Thanks! And I do use a mixer instead when recording; I play live through a Bose s1 which has 2 channels (used by my mic and my singers mic), and the keyboard goes into the stereo aux in (so streaming the backing through the keyboard saves bringing a portable mixer) but I may have to break down and look for one (battery operated) so I can have some more control.

Any recommendations on a small portable (battery powered) mixer?

Ask a Question