Casio CTX 5000 pedal Rhythm control

Reaction score
Hello to anyone who reads this. I need some info about the Casio Ctx5000. I've been planning to buy it because of the arranger part. I already have a Roland Juno ds 88 but I really need a backing keyboard. I've read the manual but didn't find an answer to my question. Does anyone of you, the readers, know if it is possible to switch rythm variation A or B or do a fill by using a pedal ? Only thing I found was start and stop.

Kind regards.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
After glancing through both the manual and the MIDI guide, I don't see any indication that it's possible. However, there might be a partial workaround of sorts:

You can use a pedal to advance from one registration to another in a given bank. You can save a rhythm number in a registration. And you can create up to 100 user rhythms.

So you might be able to create separate user rhythms from a single preset rhythm, where each user rhythm contains just one section of the preset rhythm. Then you could set up different registrations to select the different user rhythms, in the sequence you want to play them, so you can use a pedal to advance through the different rhythm sections as desired.

But that sounds like a lot of work, and there's no guarantee that it would function the way you want. For instance, fills are 1-shot bars rather than loops, and I don't know if you can create a user rhythm that contains just a fill, or that starts with a fill and segues into a main loop-- although you might be able to copy a fill from a preset rhythm to the intro of a user rhythm, and have the rhythm start with the intro (or fill) and then segue into a loop.

Anyway, you might want to look for a different arranger that can already do what you want, so you don't have to jump through hoops to achieve what you want to do. Otherwise, if you want to go ahead and give the CT-X5000 a try using the workaround described above, make sure there would be no problem returning it if it can't be made to work according to your needs.

Reaction score
Welcome.

You may need to up your budget considerably to get the functions you seek.

If you look at a Behringer FCB 1010 which is an all in one foot controller then with the right arranger it can provide the up/down/fill etc selection.

If you download the latest manual for the Korg Pa700 and look at Page 802 it goes through the parameters that can be controlled.

There has been discussions on using these Behringer units on Korgs Pa1000 & 700 arrangers.

What you probably will not like is the cost of them compared to the Casio.

Whilst not a Juno I do use my Korg Pa700 with a Kross 2 and the combination works very well for me (Kross 2 being a direct competitor to the Juno). That said I do not use the footswitch since changing variations is a single touch and if a setting is used changing the Var will change the Keyboard Sets automatically.

If you check out a Yamaha PSR S670 or a Korg EK50 or a Korg Pa300 then these may have the abilities you seek at a price point less eye watering than a 700.

Have you considered the Roland BK3 module or BK3 or 5 backing keyboard, these may provide for your needs?

Reaction score
Hello guys , thanks for the clear and fast answer. I have decided to go for the Yamaha psr s 670 instead of the ctx. Because the psr does allow rhythm control with pedals. Also at the moment I can buy it for 550 , which I think would be more than enough for my producing and singing. Also it allows to create styles like the ctx and save it seamlessly.

@Biggles
I did watch the BK's from Roland , but they don't really touch my eyes or heart. Also the demos I've seen of it kinda make them feel limited to creativity. And the price is a little high to what it does

Reaction score
I hope you are more than happy with the cost of the 670.

Yamaha recently released the SX series in the 700 and 900 and it is probably reasonable to expect that the SX series will expand to the 600 and possibly a 500, so NAMM in January may have news. If so the S series will basically be superseded hence a good price for a 670 should be possible.

Ask a Question