Casio Data Manager and a CTK-671

Reaction score
Right here is the problem.

I have a CTK-671 and other keyboards, but when I try to use the data manager it keeps giving a time out error, on XP, Vista, 7 and 8 (multi boot drives)

Casio have not been able to fix this, and there is nothing wrong with the keyboard. Could it be because I am using USB to MIDI leads? Never used a dedicated MIDI card before, and don't want to be forking out for one either.

Also tried it on both Intel and AMD pcs.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Reaction score
Yeah that exact cable. And yeah have got them the right way round. (IT engineer lol) think its just the poor timing in the uart on the usb to serial converter it employs, tried it on a friends pc who has a dedicated midi port (well sb16 card) and it works, tried the usb cable in the same pc and it gave time out errors again. So will just pop a pci card in it.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Presuming your PC is of an ancient vintage, ie. ten years old or so, you might consider optimizing the shared IRQs if it only has the original 15 IRQs sharing stuff like USB with DISK IO or VIDEO causing the USB interface to get dropped regularly. If so perhaps configuring the BIOS to move the USB IRQ to a free multimedia IRQ (5,7 or 9) might solve the problem.

I recall solving similar problems with early webcams that way ;)

Just spitballing here...

Gary

Last edited:

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Exactly how old is this Data Manager Software? When was the last revision? Any chance it's Win 3.1 16 bit stuff?

Have you tried running it in Windows Compatibility mode?

Reaction score
No this it for 2000 and XP. There is a win9x version but it didnt work either. Like I said its turned out to be the USB cheep cheep midi cable. I've since made a MIDI I/O cable from the header on my motherboard and it works like a treat from XP so all good. Turned out the USB to MIDI cable I have don't like huge sys-ex dumps, it even falters when there are shedloads of info from the rythms playing in VST.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Glad to hear that you found a solution. Agreed those $4 MIDI adapter cables can be really hit or miss.

Reaction score
Simon

Apparently Casio still does not have a good implementation (if at all) of flow control on its data dumps. The new CTK-7000 and WK-7500 have 100 User Rhythm slots. Whenever I try to send 100 rhythms in a single dump, about 15 to 20 of them get lost somewhere along the way, and I end up with only 80 to 85 on the keyboard. Now, I just send 15 at a time, and all is well, but the problem you have described goes on, to some extent, yet today. Glad you got your problem sorted, but as you have already found out, you will still have ongoing problems from time to time.

Best of luck !

Last edited:

Ask a Question