Casio keyboard won't power on

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I bought a Casio CTK-4200 'bout 1 1/2 years ago. About six months ago it started spontaneously switching off more and more frequently as it was moved until it completely stopped working when used with an adaptor. So I started using it with batteries instead and the same problem occurred until I had to put stuff on the keyboard to keep the power button pressed; if it wasn't pressed down constantly it would turn off. All this got to the point when I couldn't power it up at all, so I gave it to this guy who I know has experience with this kind of stuff, but he didn't find anything at all except for a crack in the plastic next to where the adaptor is being inserted. So I gave this to another guy who I've still yet to hear from, but I want to hear other people's opinions, ideas and experiences; anything that might help. Thank you people!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
A couple of possibilities come to mind here.

First of all the damaged power connector could definitely be the cause of the problem. There may be a cold or broken solder joint inside.

Other than that all Casios feature auto power off for when the keyboard is not in use. This is probably determined by an RC timing constant and there may be a defective timing component causing it to power off prematurely.

If this is the case then a possible workaround is to hold down the TONE button while pressing the POWER button to turn it on. That should disable the auto power off and if it still acts up after that then you can rule out the auto power circuitry.

Did your knowledgeable friend actually open up the case when he inspected it or did he simply give it an exterior inspection when he checked it out for you?

Gary ;)

Reaction score
A couple of possibilities come to mind here.

First of all the damaged power connector could definitely be the cause of the problem. There may be a cold or broken solder joint inside.

Other than that all Casios feature auto power off for when the keyboard is not in use. This is probably determined by an RC timing constant and there may be a defective timing component causing it to power off prematurely.

If this is the case then a possible workaround is to hold down the TONE button while pressing the POWER button to turn it on. That should disable the auto power off and if it still acts up after that then you can rule out the auto power circuitry.

Did your knowledgeable friend actually open up the case when he inspected it or did he simply give it an exterior inspection when he checked it out for you?

Gary ;)
mine wont work and it turns on and as soon as i play a note it turns off and does like a click sound

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Possibly a relay being tripped cutting power to protect the circuit from a short to ground when a keyswitch is activated.

Seek some professional service.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Mine comes on but doesn't play any sound. The light just comes on but the piano doesn't work

Ask a Question