Casio LK-280, keyboard keys won't light up

Reaction score
Hi,

I purchased a used LK-280. Everything seems great! Except that the keyboard keys won't light up at any time at all. And that's the main reason I went with this keyboard, hoping it might accelerate my learning how to play.

I've browsed through the manual (yuck, so hard to understand!), and haven't found anything. (Downloaded a pdf file of the manual so that I could search on the word "light" in hopes of finding it).

I tried holding down the button called "Function / Key Light". The LCD screen says that the Keylight is On. I toggled that off and on, but nothing happens.

I remember reading that sometimes people don't want the keyboard lights, such as when playing concerts. I'm hoping that this is a feature that I haven't found yet.

Other than this snafu, the keyboard is really, really awesome! I'm looking forward to many enjoyable hours with it!

Can anybody help me out with this?

Are there any other books around that are easier to understand than the manual that comes with it? The manual is a bit difficult to follow for a newbie.

Reaction score
Hej Richie,

I don't know your special LK-280 keyboard, but I would try a system reset, that means returning the digital keyboard to its factory default settings. Look for details on page 8 of the manual.

If it will not work, than I would ask the seller (shop or private person ???) about this mistake.

Reaction score
Hey Goldi5210,

That is a GREAT idea!! I'll bet that works. I'll give it a try right now!! Thanks!!

I bought it from a high volume shop on Ebay. The best he offered was a partial refund. Sheez.
I have the impression he doesnt know the equipment at all.

Other than this issue, the keyboard seems in GREAT shape. Hoping to get it resolved,
especially since I was able to get it for 1/2 price! (Gotta love Ebay!)

Rich

Reaction score
Oh, darn... Did it twice, but still no lights on the keys. Seems really odd that everything
else works perfectly except that feature.

I could understand one light being out, but all of them? A fuse or something maybe?

I tried some extensive google searches, but didn't see anything of help.

Rich

Reaction score
Hi Ted,

Thanks so very much for your helpfulness!

I read all the posts on that thread, but didn't see anything that would directly help me. There was
one post on there that suggested downloading a program called Piano Booster, and then
trying a switch, such as: pianobooster /lights

Maybe that might trigger something. I put a post onto that thread asking if he could
summarize how he fixed his own problem. Hopefully he'll see the email and respond
back.

I also put a post onto the Casio forum, but no replies yet.

Thanks again, Ted! I really appreciate your help!

Richie Rich

Reaction score
Oh, I did download and install a few midi apps that connect to the keyboard, but none
of those lit up any of the keys (even though they said they were compatible with
lighted keyboards).

I downloaded Synthesia and Noteable, both of which interact with midi keyboards.

Reaction score
Oh, good! Thanks so much, Goldi5210, I will check it out! Crossing my fingers and hoping this works!

Richie

Reaction score
Hi Al,

No, unfortunately not. I went through every page in the manual, trying everything to no avail.

I called the manufacturer, and they weren't any help at all. I knew more about the keyboard
than did the tech guy on the phone. He offered to have me send it in for repair, but it
sounded like it would be expensive.

If you come across a fix, please let me know, okay?

Did you purchase yours used, as well?

Thanks,

Richie

The Y_man

Reaction score
RR,

Can you advise if the music challenge on Page E-36 of the manual works?

If it doesn't I think unfortunately your keyboard is broken.... :oops:

The Y-man

Reaction score
Richie,
I have tried all including reseting to factory setting and the keys doesn't light up.
I have bought used at Amazon, I will return it...

Reaction score
Hi,

I purchased a used LK-280. Everything seems great! Except that the keyboard keys won't light up at any time at all. And that's the main reason I went with this keyboard, hoping it might accelerate my learning how to play.

I've browsed through the manual (yuck, so hard to understand!), and haven't found anything. (Downloaded a pdf file of the manual so that I could search on the word "light" in hopes of finding it).

I tried holding down the button called "Function / Key Light". The LCD screen says that the Keylight is On. I toggled that off and on, but nothing happens.

I remember reading that sometimes people don't want the keyboard lights, such as when playing concerts. I'm hoping that this is a feature that I haven't found yet.

Other than this snafu, the keyboard is really, really awesome! I'm looking forward to many enjoyable hours with it!

Can anybody help me out with this?

Are there any other books around that are easier to understand than the manual that comes with it? The manual is a bit difficult to follow for a newbie.

Reaction score
I AM ASSUMING you know how to download midi files and put them on a compatible SD or SDHC card and you know how to insert them. They LK280 defaults to lighting up the keyboard when you press the "CARD" as your source of sound and press play. If it doesn't, then you might need a MIDI editor software. There are many out there, but favorite for years now I use Cakewalk version 9.03. I even bought a newer version but abandoned them for being too complicated and the screen is "too busy".
Normally, the LK280 will play what you put on channel (or track) 1... (click and drag it up. But only works when playing is stopped) Try that. If it does not play, press the LIGHT ON, just to make sure you got it on, or press it again, just in case. Always leave at least a half second in your presses.
Good luck.

Last edited:

Ask a Question